bombora007

Ugh. Help Please! Want to trace this design, why is everything such an ordeal?

Man,

All I want to do is trace the red circle with the K in it. I cant for the life of me figure out the circle tool, and now Im afraid I may have screwed up a setting that I'll never figure out how to put it back right.

Every time i click on the circle icon on the left and try and draw a circle, nothing happens but dots and squares on the screen. The if I click on the pointer, I can manipulate the size of the square that constrains the circle, but I cant get the damn circle to show up.

If anyone wants to trace this out for me, I will pray to Allah that you are well cared for in the next life, since Im pretty close to broke.  Im stopping for the night or I might put my foot thru the monitor.

Could someone please, please pretty please educate me on the GD circle functions?

PS, I dont think I really have any special relationship with Allah. He generally does not appear to listen to me.  That was meant as a joke. I need a drink.

post-5197-12986540384612_thumb.jpg

post-5197-12986540405264_thumb.jpg

I have read before that some esle was having trouble with the circle in Inkscape...  they found a different version of it .. uninstalled the old version,,  reinstalled a different version and it worked great....  you just might have that bad version also...  worth a try HUH??  then go have that drink... :thumbsup:

Jay,

What the...?!?

Awesome! Man, thanks so much!  That took you like, less than 5 minutes!

I have so much to learn!

Any chance you could fill me in on how you did that?

I dont know what city youre in, but Im gonna buy you a drink next time we meet.

I am profoundly grateful.

H

I imported your picture to SignBlazer

Created two circles based on the picture

Centered them to each other

Arrange + Combine takes out the center

Used Polyline to trace over the two shapes that make up the K

Arrange + Weld + Total Weld jaoned them all as one peice

Exported as .jpg and .eps

Took about 2 minutes

I imported your picture to SignBlazer

Created two circles based on the picture

Centered them to each other

Arrange + Combine takes out the center

Used Polyline to trace over the two shapes that make up the K

Arrange + Weld + Total Weld jaoned them all as one peice

Exported as .jpg and .eps

Took about 2 minutes

Way to go, Jay!  :thumbsup:

Along with the problems you are having with inkscape......I am wondering if you don't have no fill and a stroke color set to white which doesn't contrast with the background.  Try making a circle (so the dots show up and the square) and then hitting one of the color swatches at the bottom.

Just an FYI...Inkscape is constantly under development but they only release new stable versions every so often....you might try going to the inkscape site and following the link to the nighly builds.....I find they run alot better than the normal .46 stable version at least for me.

sorry, man... but it cracked me up... reading your post... And people uninstalling a complete program 'cause they can't do the circle... I'VE DONE THAT TOO...  lol.

I've spent HOURS with the $%@@& thing and all it was was both fill and stroke were set to "white". So... draw a circle and click one of the colors along the bottom. And there it is...

sorry, man... but it cracked me up... reading your post... And people uninstalling a complete program 'cause they can't do the circle... I'VE DONE THAT TOO...  lol.

I've spent HOURS with the $%@@& thing and all it was was both fill and stroke were set to "white". So... draw a circle and click one of the colors along the bottom. And there it is...

yeah...I have never done it either!  ;)

To all you guys who posted trying to help me out, thanks so very much. I have not had time to sit back down and try the suggestions, but I will tonite. I happen to think that for the price (free) Inkscape is a pretty cool prog. SB looks chepay but still works pretty well, but its invaluble to have people out there in a community to help one another. All you guys rock, thanks again!

To all you guys who posted trying to help me out, thanks so very much. I have not had time to sit back down and try the suggestions, but I will tonite. I happen to think that for the price (free) Inkscape is a pretty cool prog. SB looks chepay but still works pretty well, but its invaluble to have people out there in a community to help one another. All you guys rock, thanks again!

Open source software rocks.  Now its not as powerful as illustrator, but for vinyl desgning I don't think there is a better program, including corel and illustrator and flexi....maybe its just because I am use to it but I can churn out designs in inkscape that take me much longer in other programs.

that very same thing happed to me with the circles, i uninstalled inkscape, and downloaded from a different site, now it works fine