Sign in to follow this  
a123bonnie

Cutting Fabric With Copam 2500

It might seem trivial to some of you but very important to me.  I have been trying to cut fabric.  I have used Iron on backing with no other carrier sheet, also WITH the paper sheet from backing material, Added pressure, lengthened blade a bit, etc.  I finally had pretty good luck by using Stencil vinyl for backing.

I would like to know exactly how you are cutting your twill or other fabric.  I didn't really want to buy the fabric with the adhesive already on, because of the expense of it.  I have the fabric and the Thermo Adhesive from Stahls.  I don't know if that is the best thing to use or not.  I also don't know if I have my settings right.

If any of you do much fabric cutting I would LOVE your input.  All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bonnie 

Just a suggestion.  Have you tried one of the carrier sheets designed for the crikut?  Don't know if they are big enough for you.  If they work you could look at making something larger with a suitable substrate and temporary spray adhesive.  Maybe something like poster board would be thin enough and stiff enough to hold the fabric.  If anybody is doing this they will be along in a little while and give you a better answer.

Mike

Thank you Mike.  Those sound like a couple of good ideas.  Have you used either idea to cut fabric.  If so, what pressure did you use and did you extend your blad a bit?

Bonnie

I have not cut any fabric - did some plain paper for my daughter to use in scrapbook she was making.  Used one of the Crikut carrier sheets to keep cutout pieces in place until the cut was complete - worked fine.  I would extend the blade far enough to completly cut through the fabric - which is probably thicker than the vinyl material we usually cut.  Use just enough pressure to make the cut and I would slow the cutting speed down.  I'm guessing the cuts are not very intricate?  If there are sharply angled switchbacks in the cutting path they may give you problems.

Anybody reading this doing work cutting fabric please respond and give Bonnie some pointers.

-Mike

Thanks again Mike......I haven't gotten any of the cricut sheets yet and yes....I'm still looking for those who have had experience cutting fabric.

Bonnie

Guest round2racing

Bonnie, if you decide to try the cricut sheets, please let us know if they worked.

I would like to try this also, but I am so busy with the vinyl, I haven't had time to experiment.