Sign in to follow this  
______

Vinyl won't lift??

Hey guys I'm still working with this Etchmark stuff, Issue after issue. I've got everything finished up and ready to apply to the window and it won't lift off the backing paper... WTF. I'm using new trans. tape (Conform series) its cool, about 70 degree's I'm inside I don't know what the problem is. I would just lift it with my exacto blade to get it started but its a very intricate design with to much going on to try that.

Has anyone had an issue with specialty vinyl not lifting what should I try

Thanks up front for any help or advice you may give

I've currently got the same problem with some paint mask, it's a sample been sent to me, so I think it might be some "real old stock".  The next time I cut it, I'll try a stronger tack application tape, if that doesn't work I'll try heating or cooling it.  Heating or cooling might make it easier to get off the backing paper, but it certainly does not do the adhesive any good.  I would only heat or cool stencils & paint masks that don't need to be stuck for any length of time.

take the backing paper from the graphic.  not the graphic from the backing paper. it usually helps me with small stuff.

take the backing paper from the graphic.  not the graphic from the backing paper. it usually helps me with small stuff.

+1

Lay the graphic apptape down and peel the backer paper back at as sharp of an angle as possible.

Your blade may be out too far too.

Taking the graphic off the paper will help some, but I had this same issue when I started and it was just as Jay says, I was cutting to deep and into the backing paper.

azdecals

Same thing happened to me last week, i accidently bought reg tac app tape and the vinyl would not lift, my pressure was at 100 i moved it down to 70 and lifts perfect, try that and problem fixed

I took the day off yesterday so im going back to try it again tonight. if anything should I try a little heat (blow dryer) or some cold air from the A/C?

It seems to me there is room for various settings ( pressure vs blade depth setting ) before the blade cuts into the backing paper . Low pressure makes up for the blade being out too far in my limited experience . I have seen marks in the backing paper ranging from cut into the backing paper to just barely visable . As the blade dulls , that effects the settings as much as using different vinyl it seems . I bump the pressure up & down 10-20 units constantly to get better cutting of the vinyl only .

As Rodger says, if your cutting too deep, it forces adhesive down into the cut on the backing paper and makes it harder to weed.  The cut should not penetrate the backing paper, but be deep enough to leave a slight indentation.   

take the backing paper from the graphic. not the graphic from the backing paper. it usually helps me with small stuff.

Thank you... and everyone else who said to pull the backing paper, It worked great

Thanks again

I did not say to pull the backing off the decal , but I would like to know what to call you ?? it isn't a prince thing , is it  :thumbsup: