Sign in to follow this  
Xmom

Is there something besides Winzip?

I am finding a lot of fonts I like for personal use but apparently our winzip trial is over.  (to be honest, I don't remember the last time I used it) 

And is it true that only TT fonts will work in SB?

TIA!

XMom

My favorite is 7-ZIP. It is free at www.7-zip.org.

My favorite is 7-ZIP. It is free at www.7-zip.org.

+1  ;) 

Due to WinZip licensing I had to remove it from all of our corporate pc's and found that 7-zip is an outstanding replacement.

I am showing my computer illiteracy by asking which version I should download for 7-bit...we have a Dell computer with latest Windows.

XMom

Also, when I download, do I 'open' or save and to where?  I am sorry for asking silly questions but I am wanting to learn.

XMom

Remember, no silly questions XMom!

I save the file to my desktop, open my fonts folder, drag and drop it into there...and then delete the file from my desktop.  I'm sure there are other ways, but that way I know right where it is.

It depends on what version of Windows operating system you have. Most people have 32 bit Windows. Download to your desktop then double click on it to run.

Guest round2racing

I have always preferred win-rar.

It unzips files beautifully.

I am very frustrated and not sure what I am doing wrong.  I downloaded the 7-zip and it shows up as an icon on my desktop.  Could someone walk me through the process of finding a font on say 'dafont.com' and tell me how I unzip it using 7-zip?  I have been reading various pages and cannot find the answer.  I try to click on a downloaded font that I saved as an icon on my computer with the 7-zip and it says that it is not a valid folder.

I would so appreciate it.  My dh is leaving for another deployment soon (and gone currently on training) and I really need to get myself more educated about things like computers that scare me...;)  (I use them for what I need and don't have a lot of extra time to learn)

XMom

Guest round2racing

I have never used 7-zip before, but try this anyway.

Once you find the file you want to download, double-click on it and open it.  You may have to select 7-zip as the program to open it with.

It should work.

If this doesn't work, look in the help part of the 7-zip program and find out how to open zip files with it.

If you still can't figure it out, download win-rar from www.downloads.com and it automatically does everything.  Anytime I get a zip file that I want to open, I just double click the file and win-rar opens it up for me.  I can then select and copy what I want, put it where I want it and then close it up.

I am very frustrated and not sure what I am doing wrong.  I downloaded the 7-zip and it shows up as an icon on my desktop.  Could someone walk me through the process of finding a font on say 'dafont.com' and tell me how I unzip it using 7-zip?  I have been reading various pages and cannot find the answer.  I try to click on a downloaded font that I saved as an icon on my computer with the 7-zip and it says that it is not a valid folder.

I would so appreciate it.  My dh is leaving for another deployment soon (and gone currently on training) and I really need to get myself more educated about things like computers that scare me...;)  (I use them for what I need and don't have a lot of extra time to learn)

XMom

Download the .zip file to your desktop or other location. Right click on it and you will have 7-Zip options. Open Archive, Extract Files and the one I use most is extract here. It will extract the files in the same location where they are.

Jay, thank you once again!!!!!!  I just downloaded some fonts I have been wanting for a while.  You made it so easy! 

XMom