Daniel_KZK

Runs off with a long line

Hello!

i was trying to cut a vectorized image of the world map, we worked with the picture a while and got a good image with nice curves and all so i could not see anything that would go wrong. Then we started to cut and my copam start with north america and comes up to alaska and from there the cutter goes crazy and just runs off with a looong straight line, and i have to cut the power to get it to stop. now i have been trying it for four times and the waste of vinyl is getting me to stop and start asking questions, what is the problem?

i tried different sizes of the world but it just runs off with that long straight line!?

Please help me.

I attach my version of my vector.

Thank you.

/Daniel

World.eps

World.eps

I have had that happen before with an image....I just opened the image, moved everything around a little and made sure everything edited ok....resaved the image, rebooted the computer and tried again and it worked.

yes i tried that too, i even tried to cut each country by itself, greenland worked ok, then i tried north america again the same thing happend again with the long line.

I just cant see why there is a problem, i been cutting harder things than this.

Sometimes files can become corrupt and need to be remade or pulled from the source again.....I would try to cut that myself and see if it works but I am not at home by my cutter ATM.

It sounds to me like there was probably a ton of unnecessary nodes in the art which probably caused the overflow pretty early on. We recently discovered a few settings that seem to help issues like this quite a lot. If you would like me to log into your system so that I can take a look at your settings then just send me a pm.

Now my Copam 4050 is running off with a long line. I've used this same graphic for over 3 months now with no problems. I've restarted my computer, and actually remade my vector image. It's still running with the diagonal line as soon as it starts to cut the image, the lettering cuts fine. Is it the software or the cutter.

How can I prevent this? I really need to get this cut.

Does this problem occur with every graphic, just this one, or only large graphics?

Have you tried cutting the file from an alternate cutting software?

It was cutting fine for the past 3 months, now its doing this. I've only had a chance to do this graphic, but as soon as I get some time, I will try to do another one. The letters seem to cut fine. I've been using this graphic for a while and it was cutting good. The graphic is only about 4 inches.

See the attached graphic.

Please let me know once you figure out if this happens with every file or just some. I will probably need to log into your computer to check out some settings so send me a PM with a good time to get this done along with a phone #.

It is a possibility, but the Copam generally does not have static issues.

I've had this problem a few times, a couple of time it was because i canceled the cut and the computer was still downloading to the cutter, next i had a graphic i completely remade because it did this same thing. Only there was a single hidden node that somehow jumped to the next universe in the cutting program. I had to zoom way in to even find it was luck. I'm pretty sure that would be the case either way. The best way to get rid of the jump node is to zoom way out and select the empty areas and delete the node. Should go back to normal if you got it.

My Copam is just over a month old and I consistently have the diagonal line problem.  The US Cutter staff try to help, but we can't fix the problem.  I have lost lots of material because a long diagonal line is cut down the material when the Cutter runs away.  I am now trying to cut only one image at a time and the problem continues.

I am using a USB cable from my laptop to the cutter.  How is everyone else resolving this problem?  I really need to get this problem resolved.

Thanks,

Jim..

(916) 248-3835

Jim,

My PCut was doing the same thing using the USB cable with my laptop. I purchased a pcmcia serial port (the laptop didn't have a serial) and connected that way. Haven't had a problem with it since.

Charlie

I believe you are saying the Copam doesn't work as designed.  I have lost a great deal of material and time trying to use the cable that shipped with the Copam.  I really don't want to continue experimenting with this cutter.  I have a full time job...

Please don't infer that I am stating things that I am not. First off, to clarify, I own a PCut machine. Second point, many folks here have been able to use the USB cable without issue. It is probably a configuration setting. I would suggest looking at the baud rate settings in both the cutter and on your port settings in your computer. They should match. And I would probably slow them both down to see if this helps with the bufferring. Also, as asked above in this thread, does this happen with ALL graphics or just one. There have been many instances where vectors contain a "ghost" node that is actually instructing the cutter to create the undesired cut. There are a lot of possible solutions to your problem. I simply stated, that it was worth it to me to purchase the serial port (it's default configuration worked perfectly).

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Thank you for your assistance.  I don't change settings, the US Cutter Staff set and change the settings when they log on to my system.  I am not an expert on this, but the issue is not a stray/ghost node on the image.  An image may cut OK one time then cut a long diagonal line down my vinyl on the next attempt to cut.  I have the US Cutter test image and it happens on their image.  The major problem that I am experiencing is that it the problem is intermittent.  I now load junk/test vinyl/paper just to see if I can get a good cut.  Once it looks like it will cut OK, I will load good vinyl.  In most instances it will then destroy the vinyl with the long diagonal cut line. 

I would stop trying to cut images, but I really need them for my business.  I have successfully cut only about 28 individual images on the Copam.  All others were destroyed by the machine.  I don't need a lot of images for my business, but I need more than the 28 that I cut.  I have also used some of the images that I cut a few days ago and need to replace them with a new one. 

This cutter has not worked correctly since it was received last month.  I am new to the world of cutting vinyl and initially thought I just needed to learn more about my software and the machine.  I now know that the problem is the machine.  I am using US Cutter software (Sign Blazer), their cutter and the cable that was in the box when I received it.

Thanks again for your help,

Jim...

Jim,

I am sure you're in better hands than mine if tech support has accessed your computer and tweaked the settings. But, obviously there is still an issue. I am not a USC tech, but I would suspect a buffer overflow causing the software to go crazy. I am a "shadetree tech support" for a good many of my web design clients, though. Are you running any other software in the background while cutting? I am bad about having my image software (Paint Shop Pro); Inkscape; and others active underneath SBE while cutting. My laptop has 4 gig of RAM, so it hasn't caused me an issue. But if you have several programs accessing your RAM and you don't have a lot of RAM (most floks have 1 gig), it could cause problems. If possible, the next time the stray cut happens, try to write down everything that is running at the time (this includes the goodies that run minimized down by your clock). That may shed some light on a possible conflict.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I have tried everything.  No other applications are running on my laptop when cutting.  I have a high end Sony Vaio laptop that cost more than 3X the Cutter and do not have an issue with memory or disk space.  This is a cutter issue, but someone may have a solution that we ovelooked. 

I am open to help from anyone.  Purchasing additional hardware from a different vendor will only complicate this problem since a new Copam should work out-of-the-box with software provided by US Cutter.

Thanks again,

Jim..

Does your Viao have a serial port? If so, I would try it through that port. Other than that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Like I said before, I had problems with my USB configuration. I use several USB items (external drives, my Blackberry, camera, etc) and it seemed like they always caused the port settings to change. The serial option doesn't change.

Charlie

Hey ,

A couple things come to mind. When I am having problems , I either take the blade holder out & watch or make the decal small enough not to waste as much vinyl ( lessens the frustration ;D ) . The other thing is when you mentioned laptop .. I have read about many problems with laptops . Can you try a desk top ? SignBlazer can be loaded on as many computers as you want for free .

Hey Roger,

I just loaded Sign Blazer on my daughter's laptop and we have the same problem on her computer.  The Copam is obviously defective.  My laptops do not have serial ports.  We only have USB.

Thanks,

Jim Robertson

You are most likely right  ;D . BUT with the shipping policy ( IF the whole unit needs to be sent back ) , I suggest trying something other than a laptop as I have read about problems with them many times  ( might have the same problem with 2different laptops ;D ) .  I have a spare usb to serial adapter cable to troubeshoot with ... you have another cable to try ?  Like Charlie ( CyberChuck ) I'm just trying to help  ;D