hoosier

How many vinyl before screen print?

At what point would someone go to screen print verse vinyl. My wife is having a blast with the heat transfer and she has some solid customers that prefer the smooth look of the vinyl over screen print. One customer has 50 shirts he wants done, easy graphic but that is a lot of time. Can I get someones take on this.

Mark

I generally agree with the over 30, but I've been known to go up to qty. 50 with vinyl depending on things like the design, color of the shirt, and purpose of the shirts.  If its a dark shirt with a single color design that is simple to weed, I lean more towards vinyl until the numbers get crazy.  If its an event shirt or for kids that will outgrow it or something like that, I consider it a short term shirt and then will likely not waste the time with vinyl.  If its a company shirt, then I'm more tempted to make the time for the vinyl because I know they shirts will be in use long term normally and corporate customers really appreciate being able to add a few more shirts at any time that perfectly match what they already have.

Also, don't rule out plastisol transfers as an option.

Please tell me more about plastisol transfers . I am interested!

Thanks,

Mark

Plastisol by my understanding is more or less a screenprint onto a transfer sheet, if you order them in quantity the pricing can be quite good.  You then get them, heat press them to the shirt, and voila its done.  Turnaround times for some companies look pretty good as well.

I generally agree with the over 30, but I've been known to go up to qty. 50 with vinyl depending on things like the design, color of the shirt, and purpose of the shirts.  If its a dark shirt with a single color design that is simple to weed, I lean more towards vinyl until the numbers get crazy.  If its an event shirt or for kids that will outgrow it or something like that, I consider it a short term shirt and then will likely not waste the time with vinyl.  If its a company shirt, then I'm more tempted to make the time for the vinyl because I know they shirts will be in use long term normally and corporate customers really appreciate being able to add a few more shirts at any time that perfectly match what they already have.

Also, don't rule out plastisol transfers as an option.

+1 i totally agree with renegade. if it's easy i weed it. lol but what he said applies to my exact thoughts.

I've become partial to them for dark shirts that have multicolor or designs that wouldn't weed well.  Sometimes silkscreening still makes more sense in quantities, but I do very little of my own screening and I really hate to sub things out.  Plastisol transfers are really fast to use and can be stored for a while.  Its really nice to have a few extras so when they call you a week later and want a few more shirts you can take care of it without any big fuss.

I'd recommend Ace or First Edition.  I normally use First Edition because they are close to me and I know them, but Ace is great as well.

If you are thinking of getting into screen printing I have a new unused 4 color slickpress with 4 used newman roller frames for 400.00  The screens need reclaimed.  I also have some new mesh I purchased to try that has not been installed yet I will throw in.  The Newmans all have the square top to work with the press and the retainers are all included and in good shape.

About 10, then I just burn a screen and print them.  If I had a better/faster exposure unit, it would probably be about half that.

Guest fivestar

It really just depends on the design.  I normally try to do plastisol for anything over 24, but if it's a simple design I would go upwards of 50.  It really depends on a few things like the design, how soon they are needing them, if they are all the same colors, and other things.

I am doing a design right now that is a PIA to do in vinyl, but they ordered close to 50 shirts but there's different colors such as a hot pink shirt with black vinyl, purple shirts with hot pink vinyl and black shirts with white vinyl.  So I just charged 15.00 per shirt and keep thinking it's $$$$$ everytime I weed one. ;D ;D ;D

i have an order for 155 shirts that im doing in vinyl. the design is simple and easy to weed...i'll have 3 hours work time in it when Im done and will make more than $500 bucks on it. it just depends on how easy it all is to weed...i design all my stuff with weeding in mind