a123bonnie

Soldering Laser Connection - Can I?

Mine is working fine right now but I can see potential problems with the laser connection.  The brown piece that the white ribbon cable plugs into is loose and very touchy.  I think the piece should be soldered into place.  Mine is not but I was wondering if I could do that myself.  Has anyone tried it and if so, did it work out ok?  The laser is the only problem I have had with my cutter and although I did get a new one, that wasn't the problem, it was the connection.  I'm looking for a way to make the connection more secure.  Any ideas would be helpful for many of us who are having problems with the light.

Thanks

Bonnie

The brown flatcable 4 pin connector is soldered as a SMD connector Surface Mounted Device to the board.

I would advise to solder the contact points again so the flush again.

If your not in to electronics and fine work soldering leave it as it is and ask a skilled engineer.

I am technical engineer and rewired the flatcable to more sturdy (thin) fixed wire from led to board.

I soldered it to the PCB where the SMD pins of the connector are located.

They pins are doubled for + and - 5 volt to the led, so two pins for + and two pins for -.

Wil make a picture tomorrow.

Paco

Thank you Paco!  I really appreciate that information!  I'll look forward to your pics!  Fortunately I have a brother who is a Computer engineer and is who I would have do the soldering.  I wouldn't have even considered it if you hadn't given these instructions. 

Thank you again Paco!

Bonnie Williams

Kansas City, MO

816-941-2344

Embroidery Art Service

Sorry picture was already it other thread. ;-)

The four contacts of the brown conenctor need to be soldered through so the soldee has flushed again.

If this not solve the problem it could be the SMD track on the PCB is broken.

You have to check that with OHM measurement device.

Paco

post-3682-12986538401154_thumb.jpg

post-3682-12986538420167_thumb.jpg