Sign in to follow this  
Axel24

Double Cuts with Signcut X2 on my Creation PCut

I'll start by saying that I am completely new to vinyl cutting, so bear with me. I finally got everything connected and working between my macbook pro and my Creation PCUT, but now many of the lines in my Di-Cuts are being cut twice. I am using Illustrator CS 3 to load the files, then if it is not vectorized, I do a live trace before sending it to signcut. When the blade goes over the same line again, it often pulls the vinyl up and cuts the over lapping vinyl. I have read other topics that suggested to check the graphic and look for layers, but there does not appear to be multiple layers in the file. I know a good deal about photoshop, but illustrator is new to me, so maybe this is where I am going wrong. Has anyone else had this problem or have a good fix? How do others recommend preparing an image for signcut? Thanks!

I am not known to CS3 but one one layer can be/have multiple objects on top of each other.

Does CS3 has an object manager where you can see all objets used?

If possible click all objects one by one and see if they are the same nodes.

If that is the case delete the double objects.

paco

Guest crshirts

Look at file in outline or wireframe, zoom in. As paco said there are probably

overlapping lines. I usually flatten transparency. Send image so we can look at whats going on.

Carl

Thanks for the tips! I will try "Flatten transparency" tomorrow in the morning. I played around a lot tonight and zoned in on my problem. When I cut an image that was made in illustrator, it cuts fine. It is when I am importing a raster image and use the "Live Trace" tool to vectorize. Incase the "flatten transparency" trick doesn't work with my live trace images, could someone explain the steps that they take to vectorize an image and send it to signcut? Right now I open the image with illistrator, then click "live trace", then "send to signcut". Are there more steps I should should take before sending the image to signcut?

Thank you so much for your help!

-Axel

P.S. I have created an example of some text that has this double cut issue. Of course this text never needed to be rasterized, but it was an easy way to show the issue I am having.

Test.ai

Test.ai

UPDATE: I tried using the "Flatten Transparency" option, but that did not fix the double cutting issue. The other weird thing is that not everything cuts twice (just certain parts). Any good step by step tutorials on how to vectorize an image without getting this issue? Thanks again!

Guest crshirts

Axel

I looked at file  did you do a stroke path on it. it may be just a setting that is wrong.

Carl

Thanks for the reply Carl! All I did was import the text (as a jpeg) and click "live trace". No stroke path that I know of...

UPDATE: I tried using the "Flatten Transparency" option, but that did not fix the double cutting issue. The other weird thing is that not everything cuts twice (just certain parts). Any good step by step tutorials on how to vectorize an image without getting this issue? Thanks again!

Did you not get the book with your CS3?  I have CS2    I import image  click> live trace> make and expand    is that on the CS3? 

post-3093-12986538081365_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986538095317_thumb.jpg

Did you not get the book with your CS3?   I have CS2    I import image  click> live trace> make and expand     is that on the CS3?   

This is exactly what I am doing, and I still get the double cuts... I will attach a new image that I just did this to. Does it look like there is anything wrong with the file? Is it something that I am doing in illustrator, or is it signcut?

EpicCreationsCow.ai

EpicCreationsCow.ai

there is nothing there,,,  it was saved without PDF content...you need to save  when options box comes up,,,click  Create PDF compatible file..

Weird... When I open the file from my computer it is fine, but when I download it I see what your talking about. There is no pdf compatible option when I save, but here is a pdf so you can see what the file looks like (probably not helpful anymore though).

EpicCreationsCow.pdf

EpicCreationsCow.pdf