Sign in to follow this  
mr300s

Why so many requests?

Being brand new and wanting to learn all of this and reading almost every post on here LOL I am curious is this really hard to learn and do as it seems I see a lot of these?

Please help to vectorize

For the most part I don't think it's hard, but I've been at it for a while.  Something like a photograph of someone's face can be pretty time consuming and more of a challenge.  To me, simple bitmaps are pretty easy.  I guess it depends on the quality of the image, if there's text, etc, lots of colors. 

Thanks being new I guess I don't really understand it yet?  I thought it was just a matter of clicking on a few things guess not....

people get lazy and want a free work done for them

That sir is exactly what I was wondering  :rolleyes:

Thanks being new I guess I don't really understand it yet?  I thought it was just a matter of clicking on a few things guess not....

For something real simple, like a simple shape or something one dimensional, yes, it's just a matter of clicking "trace bitmap" in Inkscape.

It gets more challenging when fonts get involved, or it's a low resolution image.  Doing the "trace" doesn't always reproduce the fonts or fine details with 100% accuracy.  I have better luck just using a text tool and reproducing text with that rather than vectorizing it.  

Tempted hit the nail on the head. It seems that people don't want to take the time to learn a program, but yet, they get impatient when someone doesn't help them within an hour or two. And then if they do get a graphic vectorized for them, a "thanks for your time" is hardly ever posted.

No, it's not hard to learn. All it takes is a little time to apply yourself, and you will learn.

Exactly  The first day I got the program I spent 8 hours straight messing with it give or take a few breaks and now have it down fairly well in just over 2 months

sometimes i like to request something and i will work on it as well and compare the better done one to mine to see where i need to work on stuff. that way it helps me in the future

Being new also, it can get frustrating.  I would be the first to admit that I ask questions,  I will usually attempt it for awhile and just before I want to throw my computer I will ask questions.  But if I had the opportunity, I would much rather be given a link to a tutorial than have someone do it for me.  Great example, I had the opportunity to do a logo for a barber shop.  I was able to get the log traced but was having problems to get the exact look.  jay was able to send me the file but also explained how he was able to reach the finished project.  I took his contribution and was able to do it for myself.  There are some great tutorials on this forum and I thank everyone for their time.  Just trying to get to a point where I will be able to return the graciousness that has been forwarded to me.  If you are using sign blazer I found that actually burning up a small tree and printing the manual has been a big help.  Same thing with the font guide.

I still occasionally struggle to vectorize some images to my satisfaction; due in part to this being a part-time hobby, not an occupation for me. Some time back I read a request for urgent help to vectorize something for a job quote on this forum. At the time I bit my tongue and went on to other threads. I'm sure there are varied opinions here with regard to this....Should someone expecting to profit from this type of work be adapt at performing the tasks it requires? Or do most here think it acceptable to request major assistance enabling profit for a job over one's head?

This is the exact reason that I stopped doing very much vectorizing for people.....they just wanted it done free and expected to profit from it and if you maybe hinted they could toss a bone your way you either got laughed at or someone would take offense.  It got old.  I am now focusing on only helping people learn how to vectorize because that is the part of this forum I enjoy, as some of the graphic sharing and free vectorizing honestly bothers me a bit.

I will say that anyone who ever wants to learn there are good tutorials on this forum.  I have created 2 video tutorials already and there will be more as time allows.  I am already working on a 2nd "Teach em to fish" manual vectorizing tutorial.  I am no expert by any means, but have been able to do learn to do some pretty cool stuff in a short amount of time with inkscape. 

Here are the tutorials I have made so far, any feedback in the threads of what you would like to see in future tutorials would be great as well.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,16381.0.html

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,13275.0.html

Like edge said, I am still very new to this and it is a part time hobby, more part time than I would prefer, but my job and my family come first.  I would have to agree, that the only requests should be that of help learning how to do the task at hand.  Although, it seems overwhelming to start, there is a ton of info on this forum.  I think the one thing that I did was get caught up in the totality of this forum.  I wanted to try everything and do everything.  I downloaded Inkscape thinking that it would make life easier for me.  And I am sure that it will eventually.  I have changed my focus to learn the software that came with my cutter which is SB.  I had to remember KISS(Keep it simple stupid).  I think as a new person learning this trade, that is the most important thing.  SB is powerful, maybe not as powerful as other softwares available, but plenty powerful for a beginner that wants to refine their skill prior to advancing to greater and better things.  I try my best to search forum topics before posting, although I am sure that I have posted items that might have already been covered, but for the most part I try to search first and ask second.  Again thanks to everyone that has lent a hand to my questions.  I might say this alot, but it is sincere.  I brag to wife all the time about how nice and receptive all the people on this site have been.  Hopefully too many people do not take advantage of others kindness and destroy a great site like this.