Sign in to follow this  
CherokeeDesign

anybody do military discounts?

I'm considering offering a military discount, anyone offer this?  Questions:

1.  What percent is the discount?

2.  Active duty only, or include former service?

3.  What proof do you require?  Is asking a DD-214 too invasive?  I want some proof, I don't want everyone coming to me saying "I was in the military" and wanting a discount.  But I don't want to request too personal of information either.  Obviously I'd take a current ID, but curious about former service.

I'm thinking something like 10%, both current and former service.  If nothing else, I'd like just to do it around Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, etc. 

That is something somebody gets when they get out of the military. Being in a military town that isnt something Im going to offer but if I did and what most places do if they do offer it is ask to see thier Military Id. I just give the same discounts to everyone who does bulk orders. Just like my screen printing business. The more they buy the cheaper the price per item.

We offer discounts to military, police, fire, and ems. Typically 10% and/or $25 artwork/setup fee waived.

Hey Cherokee, how are you doing?  That's a pretty cool idea.  Whether the person is active, guard, reserve or retired, they will have some type of military ID.  It will say that as well on the ID (active, guard, reserve or retired).  Honestly, I don't even know what a DD-214 is!  :thumbsup:  If retirees get them, then I can't wait to get one!  I think 10% is plenty.  And I think the best part is not necessarily the discount, but knowing that companies still care about the military (and not for just their $$$). 

Jay

Guest kenya

Just a military id should work.

A DD214 tells everything including personal data, transfer or discharge data & service data.

That's if most even have theirs still.  Most carry the military id, the DD214 is usually kept in a safe place.

My hubby's is in a fire proof box -:thumbsup:

Great idea giving a discount. With so many in the military now a days, you would really be doing a wonderful service.

We offer discounts to military, police, fire, and ems. Typically 10% and/or $25 artwork/setup fee waived.

:thumbsup:

I think if a design is military in nature, or the person obviously look military, I'd ask.  If they said yes then I'd give it to them. What limited business I do, I also give school and club sport discounts.  Those are usually easy to figure out.  They they send you an email from a school email addy then you know. :thumbsup:

but knowing that companies still care about the military
  I agree.  I'd also want to DO business with companies that think that way. So asking someone if they are military, or school or whatever (even if they are not) lets the know "You take care" of those folks. 

azdecals

My husband is active duty Army (and deploying again but I digress) and I appreciate when people give military discounts.  I think 10% is more than generous and think asking for a military ID is the most appropriate.  We use our ID cards for everything we do so showing it to a business owner shouldn't be a problem.

XMom

being a marine for 13 years and then getting out and starting my business I always take care of the military personnel however I would never ask for a dd-214. I can spot a military man from a mile away. I also have enough military stuff in my shop that anyone that served would ask and usaully a conversation starts about the military.