Sign in to follow this  
Guest sciondrgn

Jeep Tire Covers

Guest sciondrgn

Anyone think any of the material would work on those Vinyl type spare tire covers on a jeep?

I have had Oracal 651 on the tire cover on my Jeep for over a year & holding up 100 %  ;D . I have the whole circle filled up with my business info . I used a new cover which may or not be better than a used weathered cover ;D

I have done a few poker tables with 651. It is the same kind of vinyl and they have been holding up pretty well to spilled beer and sliding cards accross it. I was suprised how well it sticks.

post-1657-12986537408548_thumb.jpg

Guest sciondrgn

Thanks for the replies.. I will give the 651 a try first and see how that goes..

I have screen printed and embroidered on mine with great results.  I agree, buy a new cover to work with....

Guest sciondrgn

Ive got my design cut out for the cover and actually have the cover here, Would you recommend a wet install? I was thinking of putting the cover on the tire so it will be nice and tight and install wet since I cut in panels Im going to have to piece the decal together during install.?

I installed dry ( hinged it ) because I was not sure how much grip the vinyl would have on the cover  . I would experiement with some scrap vinyl/decal before doing it wet . I would also put the cover on a flat hard surface because the middle of the cover has no support when on the tire .  :thumbsup:

I would do it dry on table. Like Roger said you could put a piece of wood behind it while on the tire.

Guest sciondrgn

ok thanks.. Ill give it a shot, Since its 2 panels I wanted to do it wet so I could line it up better and get it right lol

If you hinge it ( You know what I am talking about ? taping the decal & installing 1/2 at a time ) , You can align it perfect .  :angry:

Guest sciondrgn

If you hinge it ( You know what I am talking about ? taping the decal & installing 1/2 at a time ) , You can align it perfect .  :angry:

Yup sure do.. I just dont have anything to put inside the cover to keep it firm

I put my decal on the cover while on the tire & decided I would  not do that again  :thumbsup: . It was fairly tight , but moved alot & was difficult . I would find a bar stool or something to make it easier . I'm sure you can do it , just takes alot more effort & easy to mess up . . Also much easier to do the final squeegeef

Put it on a table and turn it inside out so the part that goes around the tire is sticking up.

Guest sciondrgn

Put it on a table and turn it inside out so the part that goes around the tire is sticking up.

bing!! Awesome idea :thumbsup: I think Ill try that

Guest crshirts

That or home depot sells round table top made of plywood not to pricey.

Carl

Guest sciondrgn

Well for a test run this is my first try.. It laid down pretty good but getting some form of wood or other object would make it easier.. Its not perfectly lined up but its my first so its not to bad I guess..

post-0-12986539031321_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986539041348_thumb.jpg