Sign in to follow this  
WildCutter

Software for a real deal newbie

I was hoping someone could tell me what software would be best for my old plotter.  I have a Wild Aviotab Ta 30 plotter (probably never heard of it, no one else has seemed to) hooked up to a Mac.  I have it physically hooked up serial to USB but so far the computer doesn't even see it.  I'm told that I need software in order for the computer to see it.  The only two software's I've heard of is FlexiSign and Sign-cut X2.  FlexiSign can get expensive although I did find the FlexiSign8 Mac starter for $120.00 here on USCutter.  But do I want a "starter" kit?  I tried a 1 day pass with sign-cut X2 but I couldn't get anything to work. 

I'm really a newbie and don't hardly know anything about plotters/cutters.  I'm knowledgeable with computers so I was the one appointed to get this thing going.  I'm just looking for your basic needs in cutting letters.  Looks pretty neat actually.  Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me any tips on getting the cutter working?

Thank you!

Kimon at Signcut would be the one who would know the answer.He'll be around soon.

Sure be happy to help, first please tell us in have you installed the usb drivers for your cutter? They should have come with the adapter. Open Signcut click the cutter button and tell us what you have selected for manufacturer, cutter, device and baud rate.

Your particular plotter is an oldie but a goody, I have not set one up myself but we do have users using them. If you can get it to communicate with your Mac  we can output to it.

Ok, the computer and plotter seem to be talking but the Signcut 1-Day trail software I downloaded keeps crashing.  For example, when I go to the round oval "cutter" tab in Signcut, than select calibrate cutter at the bottom of the page, it will work but once the cutter is done, I click ok or cancel and when I get back to the Sign-Cut "home page" to say, it unexpectedly quits.  I can open it up again and do the same thing but it eventually crashes again.   I'm assuming being that the cutter moves, the baud rate and such is set up properly.  I guess now it's a matter of getting Signcut to keep on working.  Could it be that the 1-Day trail is what is screwing it up?  When I open Signcut, the window says "Sign-Cut Test Mode"

Another thing to consider is to purchase a 5-year Sign-Cut with dongle is $300.  I can get Flexi8 Mac and upgrade my operating system to 10.4 or 10.5 for the same price. So, I'm not sure if Signcut would be good pursuing in the first place.  I downloaded the free trail just to see if I could get something to work.  I really don't know the differences between to the software, if ones better or easier to use than the other.

Sorry but I'm kind of a random mess not knowing much about this stuff.

buy a copy of signcut. US Cutter apparently doesn't sell it anymore, so maybe Kimon can help you out.

Hey BannerJohn.  I was in the middle of modifying my post when you wrote in.

If that is the case with US Cutter, than I guess Sign-Cut would be my only choice.  Which means I need to figure out more about SignCut

Be happy to help, please feel free to email me directly at kimon@signforums.com

Thanks Kimon. Will do.  It's now been decided we are upgrading computers and software so I'll be hoping for your input when the dust settles. 

Thank you everyone for the help!