Sign in to follow this  
BannerJohn

are people really this stupid?

below is the text from an email I got from the IRS today (supposedly).Read it carefully and then decide if the IRS really sends out emails in poor broken English. See if you can count how many grammatical errors there are:

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $468.70

Please visit the link to continue: http://www7.irs.gov/refund/form?task=23fcrrdsavtxhwrDabczyOkhb

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

We apologize for any troubles caused to you, and is very appreciative for your cooperation.

Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated.

Sincerely,

Echo Martineau

Tax Refunds Department

also, tell me what is wrong with the URL that is supposed to lead to the IRS.

You better be careful or you will be  indicated

Then again this really could be from those clowns  :)

Jon

below is the text from an email I got from the IRS today (supposedly).Read it carefully and then decide if the IRS really sends out emails in poor broken English. See if you can count how many grammatical errors there are:

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $468.70

Please visit the link to continue: http://www7.irs.gov/refund/form?task=23fcrrdsavtxhwrDabczyOkhb

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

We apologize for any troubles caused to you, and is very appreciative for your cooperation.

Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated.

Sincerely,

Echo Martineau

Tax Refunds Department

also, tell me what is wrong with the URL that is supposed to lead to the IRS.

www7 ?

Guest stunad, jr.

I dont think its a question if people are stupid.  There are older folks that are just learning computers and the internet that may fall prey to this.  Granted the english and grammar is not correct, I suspect many may not even notice.  

There are ways to prevent being suspect to these type of emails, luckily my folks learned this a long time ago.

simply put,the IRS does NOT send out emails like this. I've heard it on the news several times.

New country song goes:

God is great.

Beer is good.

People are stupid. :lol:

Has anyone ever received a email, letter, phone call from the real IRS saying you made a mistake, we want to give you money?  :)

As hard as it is to believe , when my wife & I was doing our own tax filing , we got a letter with the refund saying we made a mistake & the refund was about $500 more than what we had put on the forms . ( can you believe I make the longest run-on sentences in the world ?  :D )

My daughter works at a bank and you wouldn't believe how many times she has had to tell people the e-mail is fake and not to do what it says. She sometimes has to bring an officer in to confirm that it is a scam because they can't believe that anyone would try to scam them. THAT is the STUPID part, they will believe a hoax e-mail from someone they don't know instead of a bank employee they can see face to face and do business with.  :D

I don't open anything like that anymore. I learned my lesson long ago I opened one up and about 3 days later my computer was wiped out.

So be careful what you open.

we got a letter with the refund saying we made a mistake & the refund was about $500 more than what we had put on the forms

Rodger,

You must be living right...  :rolleyes:

State or Fed?

Hey Alien - At the exact moment I was reading your post:

God is great.

Beer is good.

People are stupid.

The song was playing on my radio!!!  Little bit odd - It must have been an "alien moment".  LOL

we got a letter with the refund saying we made a mistake & the refund was about $500 more than what we had put on the forms

Rodger,

You must be living right...  :D

State or Fed?

I'll have to ask the wife if she remembers ( I'm at the farm & she is in Florida visiting her parents [ we are getting along perfectly  :D ] , but I'm thinking Federal . Thought I was going to be paying $5K 3 years ago... went to an accountant a friend uses & got back $5K . Best $150 I ever spent !

Hey Alien - At the exact moment I was reading your post:

God is great.

Beer is good.

People are stupid.

The song was playing on my radio!!! Little bit odd - It must have been an "alien moment".  LOL

ROFL :D