Can anyone explain how to deal with rivets on a trailer, do I cut them out, or go over them? If so how? I'm using Orical 651.

I remove them and replace them, I think it looks like crap if you go over them.

Just my 2 cents

CKR

I do the same thing.. Just a ditto of before. 

Lots of work, but a better finish.. :thumbsup:

HUH?:thumbsup: Remove the rivets? Are you insane?

There are tools that make rivets clean and neat, even if you don't have the high dollar tools , a good heat gun and a Rivet brush work pretty good. Prick and air hole with a pin then press the vinyl down with the squeegee and your finger after heating with a gun works pretty darn good. I just did a sign with about 20 rivets on it, and when done. they disappear into the sign.

Check the forum there are several posts on how to do rivets, with links to all the kewl tools for them too.

Kevin

I use a tennis ball hasn't failed yet. I just heat the area over the pop rivet with a heat gun then roll it out with the tennis ball. $1.68 for a three pack at Wal-Mart.

Yeah I've seen that before nice looking tool but I'm not crazy about paying 50.00 dollars for it when the old tennis ball hasn't failed yet.

Guest kenya

Yeah I've seen that before nice looking tool but I'm not crazy about paying 50.00 dollars for it when the old tennis ball hasn't failed yet.

True, it's pricey.

But I don't mind investing money in tools that make me a living. :thumbsup:

Heat Gun & Brand New Sharpie Cap FTW  :thumbsup:

I'll be tryin the tennis ball though...  ;D

Guest kenya

I'm not saying that a tennis ball doesn't work. But I can tell you there is always better tools being manufactured everyday. It's just up to the individual what you want to spend for you tools.

If you happen to leave a tennis ball on the jobsite, it's no big deal. But you sure wouldn't want to leave this tool lying around.

I saw N Glantz has the brush, but I may try the tennis ball ideal, I just have to find one the dog hasn't eaten yet!  :thumbsup: Thanks everyone for your input!

I've tried tennis ball , and bought rollepro but I just love sharpie cap and heat gun.

Best results.

Guest kenya

If loosing a $50 tool is going to break the bank you aren't charging enough.

Who said it would break my bank? I'm very comfortable with my prices. I've never asked anyone what I should charge.

I only stated that I would hate to leave it on a job, compared to leaving a tennis ball.

Guest round2racing

How the heck do you do rivets with a heat gun and sharpie cap?

Please explain the procedure.

I just did a two section decal over rivets and I cut the circles out and hand painted the rivet heads.

I would love to learn any techniques I can.

well the sharpie won't work on racecar rivets....lol  tennis ball and heat gun does work great! i have no use for the rivet brush because it can mark certain vinyls like the fluorescent....at least for me it did.  :) now it there was a way for holographic material to be rivet freindly. i'd be a very happy camper....lol

How the heck do you do rivets with a heat gun and sharpie cap?

Please explain the procedure.

I just did a two section decal over rivets and I cut the circles out and hand painted the rivet heads.

I would love to learn any techniques I can.

I just copied and pasted this from a response I did in the past to someone else asking about rivets.

I have done a few trailers with rivets. Here is what you do, lay the vinyl down and anywhere there is a rivet just brush over it lightly with your squeegee, leave a little air all around it. When you are done squeegeeing out the vinyl, go back to the rivets and use a pin (NOT A RAZOR) and poke 4 small holes around the edges of the rivets. This will allow air to release! Next use a heat gun or propane torch to heat the vinyl where the rivet is. Be careful not to heat too much, you don't want to melt the vinyl.  What I have found best to use is the Rolle Pro tool but if you don't have one go and get a sharpie marker and take the cap off. The cap is the perfect size, fits right over the rivet. Just push the open end of the cap over the rivet and give it a light twist. That's it! Done!

As you do a few it will get easier, just take your time and be patient.

As far as wet or dry is concerned, really doesn't matter. Whichever way you are most comfortable with. I personally would put the layers together before I lay down the vinyl to the trailer but that is just my preference.

Good Luck!

Guest round2racing

I am going to try the tennis ball on the other side of my trailer.  Unfortunately, I don't have rivets on my trailer.  There are these big honking square drive screw heads.  I ended up cutting around them.  It looks okay and you don't really notice them.  It was my very first project, so I am still really proud of it.  I'm sure the other side will look better after it gets the tennis ball treatment.

Here's a pic of my VERY first project!!

post-0-12986536282182_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986536295629_thumb.jpg

my thing with cutting around the rivets is 9 times out of 10 i can't cut smooth....lol  i've done one enclosed trailer and it didn't have the square head screws. i did have a racecar roof that had one big square bolt in it, i used the tennis ball and one of my pics are the cheap wooden ones with the end angled and it worked great on that bolt! we haul our racecar on a flat bed trailer so i couldn't practice on it...lol  yes racecar rivets are a little bigger than the sharpie cap.  :)

good job for first time!

lue anne