Sign in to follow this  
MrNate

My first installed wall art

Just did this one today and I'm pretty pleased with it.  I painted the brown square on the wall (Avery paint mask for square) and installed the design on top (Oracal 631).  The whole process went very well, so I'm a bit less nervous about working up to some bigger projects.  I've got a couple of boats to do next month.

20090418-IMG_0323.jpg

Looks great.

Why didn't you just mask the whole thing and let the cup be the same color as the wall?

Guest Schramm

Yeah I have the same question as sandman, had you cut the entire thing out of spraymask and just weeded it different you could of just painted the espresso color and been done.

I think that the job looks great and please do not take this the wrong way but you should practice a few more times on masonite IF you are going to paint on someones boat (if you are just applying vinyl dont worry).  Boat people treat there boats like there kids, wives and dogs and if you paint on it and screw it up they will be mad a he--!  With vinyl it can always just be removed.  If you have questions about painting feel free to contact me either here, my email or look at my website and call me.  I have been a decorative artist for 23 years and am happy to explain techniques.

Rob

Thanks guys.  I actually did recommend just painting and not applying vinyl, but that's not what they wanted to have done.  :-

I'm just doing vinyl on the boats and both owners know I'm just getting my start, so they are getting a great price in exchange for letting me take my time and figure it out. 

Guest Schramm

MrNate,

That is a very smart way of doing business and your honesty with them will make the job easier! 

I think you did a good job, I agree the you could have left the cup the same color as the wall. Another option could have been to just leave the steam lines coming from the cup or the word coffee the same color as the wall. There are a few different creative ways to look at it. Just my .02.

I think you should of mirrored some of the fish, but this still looks really good  :thumbsup:

Guest kenya

That's nice !!

I did something similar for my niece. I put little circles coming up from the fish (you know, bubbles- :thumbsup:).

Now her little friends want their rooms done.  :thumbsup:

Super job! 

Definitely ask Rob if you have any questions....his work is amazing!

Super job! 

Definitely ask Rob if you have any questions....his work is amazing!

No kidding...Rob's work is decades beyond me.  :thumbsup:

I may mirror a couple of the angelfish and reinstall them, because I really like that idea. 

Guest Schramm

Mr Nate,

Nice work, I like the ideas of bubbles, and if you dont mind me saying maybe adding fish in different colors and different sizes.  That plotter you have most people see it as a way to create single layer art or maybe only signage but that thing is a miracle!  Used correctly in the painting field you can transform plain drywall into a 3D work of art.  I am only good because I have been doing it professionally for 23 years.  When I started there was no forums to get help from!  Back then you actually needed to know what you were doing, some of which I think that people need to know today.

Do a little reserch on positive and negative stenciling and maybe buy some stenciling DVDs as they are a great basis for understanding what that plotter is all about.  You can buy some at www.royaldesignstudio.com or a better one is found at www.modellodesigns.com.

You can also email me or call me to pick my brain as I love to help people that are trying to do something creative.  I hide nothing in my business as I feel that I got where I am at with a ton of people helping me when I needed it and I think that there are just too many people trying to keep things secret that they were taught for free!

Good Luck and again very nice job!