Sign in to follow this  
hobbymom

Power Plug Replacemenet

Our Cutter was plugged into the wall and the cutter and some how the plug that is plugged into the cutter broke. The two screws that were on either side are sill in the machine and I can still plug it in, but it is a real pain. Does anyone know how I can get a new plug for the cutter???

ken should be able to get you a replacement part. If he can't,I'll have a look and see if I can pull one off an old computer power supply or something.

I need the AC socket, but I found one locally for $3. Is there any suggestions on how to replace it. Is it very hard???

I'm not taking mine apart to see,but it shouldn't be too hard. There might be a solder point somewhere,but maybe not. Be careful...I don't know about the plotter,but if the power supply is the same type as a computer,it can retain voltage even after turned off and unplugged. I stronly suggest that you call Ken and have him advise before you do anything more. Or PM him,if you can't get him on the phone.

my curiosity got the better of me and I took it apart. Piece of cake...though there will be soldering involved.

Unscrew the 4 screws holding the end panel on. Remove it. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the plug socket. Cut the wires going to the plug socket as close to the socket as possble. Put new socket in,solder wires to the 3 contact points,making sure to get the right ones back where they go. They are color coded.

If you don't feel comfortable soldering, I guess you will have to find someone to do it for you. But it's a 10 minute job at most.

My husband can do that for me. Is there any power supply invloved after it is plugged in and turned off? Do I still need to call of PM Ken??? Let me know!

Thank you!

Jessica

nope,the power supply is separate from the plug. Your husband will see how easy it is once he has a look.

If you found a new plug locally and your husband feels comfortable replacing it, then there is no need to call or PM me.

:)

I got the plug today and my husband does a lot of soldering on his ECU in his car and said it would be a piece of cake. So, thank you! I will let you know how it turns out!

Jessica

how about an update? Someone else might have this problem in future, would be  nice to know  the solution. Also,it would be nice to know where you got the plug thing and exactly what to ask for.

Okay, my husband replaced it in like 5 minutes. He is a good solderer, though! I got it at a place called Norvac that is an electronics place here locally! It was $4.95 and they call it a 3 prong AC Socket. I am sure you can get them just about any where. I works wonders now! The socke doesn't dangle either. He did some slight modifications to the unit itself since it was a little tight where the socket meets the cutter. He just used a razor to shave some of it off and it has a much tighter fit!!!! Piece of cake and like brand new!

Probably $4-5 plus shipping. Fairly inexpensive. What did your husband pay for the replacement you found locally?