Sign in to follow this  
2TONE

Transfer tape bunches up

Hey everyone,

I'm new to vinyl cutting and I'm trying to make stickers.  I purchased clear transfer tap because it was recommended by one of the nice guys down at USCUTTERS.  Since I'm new, I just want to know if there is a trick to applying the tape?  Everytime I try to apply the tape it wants to pull the vinyl up, and by the time it's all applied, its all bunched together.  I have tried to squigy it out but it creases everywhere and just does not look good.  Should I be using the clear tape or should I be using something different?  Please help...

tape in my opinion depends on what size decals you are making. ,, and how much text and small details..  real small decals like 3" x 8" and with small text,  I use clear,,,, large decals I use paper tape,, Conform,  Main etc.  how I apply clear tape is ....unroll with tape laying on the table with adhesive up,  sometimes it has some static to it, so I put a little weight of something small on the corner... Then with the vinyl side down of your decal,  and facing the adhesive side....start at the end of the tape and gently ROLL the decal slowly on the tape, while gently smoothing it as you go.  works for me... 

Once you lay the application tape on the decal and backing, why are you pulling it up? The application is designed to go on the vinyl and stay on the vinyl until the decal is applied somewhere. If you have your decal and laying the application tape on to it, make sure you go from center then work you way out with a squeegee. If you have difficulties with that, then try unrolling the application tape, sticky side up, then laying your decal face down on the tape. Again, work your way starting from the center and going outwards with a squeegee.

I'm not quite understanding the bunching. You might need to post pics. To attach pics, click on the "Additional Options" at the bottom of the reply box and you can attach it there.

App tape is not suppose to slide and flatten out perfectly.  Applying it perfectly flat with no wrinkles is something that will come with experience, the tape is not messing up its doing what it is suppose to, you just aren't doing a great job at applying it. 

Tape adhesive side up is a great tip, I do alot of my decals that way.  No matter how you do it you must start at a point (most of the time at the center) and work your way out.  Keep trying, try different ways or go watch some youtube videos and try new things.  You will find what works for you.  The most important thing most likely is to realize its probly not the tape, its the taper's tecnique that is causing the problems. 

Paper app tape to me is a little more forgiving though....just an FYI.  Neither can be stuck to the vinyl and then removed without messing it up and neither will slide to lay flat.