Sign in to follow this  
kfintoni

How can I merge more than one simple vector in AI

Hello,

I have been fighting with this al weekend. Is there a way to merge and edit more than one vector image in AI. I bought a set of graphics that have already been vectorized. I want to merge more than one design at a time. I tried in inkscape, and signcut and signblazer elements. I cannot get it to work at all. I have downloaded the trial version of AI to try it there. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I know there has to be an easier way to do this. If I could just open it in inkscape it would be great.

Thanks Karen

From what you are saying, I am assuming you want to take 2 1-color vector graphics and merge them into a single-cuttable graphic with no overlap, correct?

If so, you need to make them overlap as you want, then select both of them and click Pathfinder>Add to shape area>Expand.  This will overlap them.  However, if the vectors you have are more than one color or they are .eps' with a bunch of layers, it may be more complicated.

If you get them overlapped like you want in Illy, post the .ai and we can take a look at it.

Yes that is exactly right. I want to take two or three one color vectors and merge them into one, head, body and something else. When I try in Ai I can open the first EPS the second opens in a new window. Is there a way to get them to open in the same window so I can line them up and then save them as one.

Karen

open the first image....Then instead of going to open..go file to PLACE...it will open it in the same workspace window

Ah, yes, what James said.  You can also copy/paste it into the first window.  I always forget about the place function..

And make damn sure they are all the same color before you attempt to merge them. It will save you hours of headaches. Don't ask me how I know. :thumbsup: