Sign in to follow this  
haumana

reflective vinyl removal

Hey all - is there a best practice to remove reflective vinyl?

I just purchased a used vehicle and it has the original stealership reflective decal on the bumper. I started peeling it, but as with all reflective decals that I've come across, it tears into little itty-bitty size pieces and makes me kind of crazy. If I use a hair blow dryer, would that help or make it worse? The little bits that I've managed to peel off aren't leaving any adhesive back, which a miracle all by itself. Keep in mind that the vehicle was used, and from what I can tell, the decal probably sat in the sun everyday, and its been on the vehicle since 2003.

Any advice would be appreciated. Mahalo.

Hey Haumana ,

How have ya been  ;D ? I bought a truck with reflective D.O.T. type vinyl decals . Those decals were the worst I have ever seen or had to take off . I tried the rubber wheels that go into a grinder ( wore out several wheels & didn't get the 12" X 12" decals off ) , soaked with alcohol & decal remover , heat gun etc & wound up sanding it off ( 80 grit ). It was right in the middle of the doors . I wound up feathering the edges out & putting a decal over the whle area instead of repainting the door/truck . It is VERY hard to heat up the decal enough without making the paint soft with some reflective vinyl . These decals had been on a long time & out in the sun .

Go to your local hardware store(island depot? ;D) and pickup a few different can of adhesive remover... just follow the directions for each product. Keep trying different ones, until you come across one that works for ya.

Island Depot ... LOL  ;D

Mahalo guys! You crack me up! hysterical.gif

I have some 3M adhesive & wax remover, but I'm always wary about using that stuff around paint.

Thank goodness that the decal I'm trying to remove is only about 6"x3", and not a huge 12"x12".  I guess I'll suck it up and just pick it off in itty bitty bits ... that should only take a few hours, right? Hahahaha.

dead1.gif