Sign in to follow this  
tshirtn00b

Oracal 351 Chrome

A friend wants some lettering done on his truck with some Oracal 351 chrome vinyl.  Has anyone used this stuff before that can throw a few pointers my way?  My first question is - should this stuff even be used for auto lettering?  It says it has a two year outdoor life span - i told him to be grateful if it lasts one.

Is there a different app tape to use that won't damage the mirror like finish or will any wet app tape work?

Thanks everyone

Tom

Make sure you have a SHARP blade, and some patience.  The Oracal Chrome tends to peel up on sharp corners when cutting.  Then it likes to stick to the backer when you are trying to remove it for application.  However, it looks awesome once its one. 

I had tried the oracle chrome previously and was very frustrated with it. When I just got an order for the same finish I did some checking around and looking through my samples and came across the Scheinholographics samples. They have a silver chrom polish with the same exact finish. It's rated up to 5 yrs outdoors and was cheaper thru sign warehouse so I ordered in a roll. I was very pleased when working with it compared to the oracle I had tried. Weeds easier and is a bit heavier vinyl. Just an option for you to look at.

Guest sciondrgn

I have a roll of the Scheinholographics Chrome and it works pretty well.

Been on my car for 6+ Months so far with no problems

s640x480