tlzimmerman

Tracing Lessons - Teach a man to fish theory....

Alright guys n gals, I haven't been around on the vectorizing forums as much lately helping out...been to busy lately.  Several forums I have read recently about the vector and graphics sharing parts of the forum gave me this idea though.

I am going to start a series of how to trace type posts.  I am going to post an example, and show my try at it.  The idea is for people to try manually tracing graphics using a bezier curve tool or something like that instead of an auto trace type feature.  Many times this is the only way to pull a usable image out of something small, and its how I make almost all of my decals even with larger image sizes.  I find alot of the time I can trace it out myself faster than I can auto trace and try to clean it up.

I am just feeling out the idea in this post....if everyone thinks its a good idea I will make an instructional video or 2 outlining simple manual tracing steps, then anyone who wants to get started learning how to make their own vectors by hand tracing can give it a shot.  At the same time, over the course of 10-15-20 people vectorizing an image, someone may have ideas that others hadn't thought of so we all may learn.  The idea for everyone here is to get better at vectorizing, learn how to do it yourself so you don't have to rely on other's time to help you out.  I am going to focus the series using inkscape because I love the program and because its free and available to anyone and everyone.  If someone else would like to tackle AI or Corel, I welcome the help.

So if you think this is a good idea...shout out and I will get busy on some videos in the next couple days, if you think its not worth the time let the thread die and we will act like it never happened.

Here is a first simple image.  The idea here is to get a 1 color cuttable decal out of things.  Auto tracing this decal would be a little difficult because its very small and you will likely get wavy lines instead of straight because it tries to follow each individual pixel......but you can manually trace it in about 15 minutes pretty easily if you have practice.  This image took me 6 minutes to manually trace in inkscape from start to finish.

post-4031-1298653510542_thumb.gif

post-4031-12986535105961_thumb.png

funnysun.eps

post-4031-12986535123229_thumb.gif

post-4031-12986535123449_thumb.png

funnysun.eps

Guest fivestar

I, myself think it's an excellent idea.  I am trying to learn the bezier tool everyday am getting better at it but have ALOT more to learn.  I've got some stuff here right now that I am trying to do and can't get it to work right so hurry up with that video.  :thumbsup::P:huh: J/K but I am trying to manually trace something right now and can't get it.  Lemmie know if you want to use it in your tutorial.  :);D ;D

Sure 5 post it up.....I will use it in the tutorial......might not get to it until tonight or tomorrow because the videos take some serious time, but it would be good to have lots of examples.

Guest kenya

Wonderful Idea !!!!!

Can't wait for the videos.  :thumbsup:

Thank You for your time.

Guest fivestar

Here she is.........just need the flames on the side.

post-0-1298653510967_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298653512638_thumb.jpg

Good thing you choose an easy one,  :thumbsup:

Guest fivestar

Good thing you choose an easy one,  :thumbsup:

:P:huh::) If it was an easy one I would of been done with it. 

Haha, ok looks like we have plenty of interest then.

Just to let everyone know, this is going to probably get pushed to next week....just landed a big order.

Five...yeah thanks for choosing a simple one.  Its doable though, I did part of it already and its turning out ok, if you need that I can try to finish it for you.

I will definately get something together though.

Thomas

SWEETTT! thanks for thinking of us, i want to learn it too. please hurry up.

Guest fivestar

Five...yeah thanks for choosing a simple one.  Its doable though, I did part of it already and its turning out ok, if you need that I can try to finish it for you.

Yes I do need it, but if you landed a big job then don't let me get in your way of doing the job.  If you wanna post what you've got done though I'll take it.  :thumbsup:;D ;D

BTW.......CONGRATS on your big order......I landed a couple this week myself. :thumbsup:

Fivestar,

Thanks for the congrats......makes for long nights when you are doing this as a side business trying to get 200 decals cranked out, but thats ok its worth it!

I took a break at work and spent a little more time on it, this is about as good as I can get without spending a ton more time trying to figure out the rest of the flames down the side.  Hope these are the ones you wanted.  The lines and nodes need cleaned up a little to make all the curves perfectly smooth, figured you could hand that though.

post-4031-1298653521166_thumb.png

FiveStarFlames.eps

post-4031-12986535225487_thumb.png

FiveStarFlames.eps

Guest fivestar

Them will definitely work as a start.  I really appreciate it and I look forward to your videos.  Again thanks a million.