dustinjtrr

Here I come Nashville!

My Fiance got accepted to the residency program at the Vanderbilt Medical Center.  So, in June we are moving to Nashville.  It's kind of a crazy sudden life changing thing. 

When we were down there for her interview we went out to the bars after the interviews and one of the other interviewees called us Yankees.  She was from Mississippi and I explained to her that Ohio was the midwest, and happened to be the heart of America (you know because it's kinda shaped like a little heart and it's in an approximate heart location when you look at a map).

Anyway...  are people going to call us Yanks because we are from Ohio? 

I'm being completely serious with this next question...  Can I get away with wearing my seersucker suit?  In Ohio people think I'm nuts so it usually doesn't come out.

Congrats to you and your fiance.

I guess you will be considered a Yankee.  We are moving South in under 2 weeks and have come to terms that we to will be considered Yankees!  :thumbsup:

If you're not from the south you are a yankee. Even if you are from California.

Does that EVER change?  I mean what if you are there over 10 years?

No more than a rebel moving up north does. As sooon as u open ur mouth its

"urnot from here r u" ? I just say no maam.

People from the south are some of the nicest sweetest ppl there is. My Mom's side is from KY and it didn't take me long as a child to see the difference in ppl from the South vs North. Enjoy you all will love it down there and it is beautiful as well.

it will change when you stop talking funny.

it will change when you stop talking funny.

LOL John, they still tease/laugh at my daughter out East saying SHE talks funny and it has been 2 yrs since she went out there from the Midwest. I now tease her because I can hear slight differences in her speech with certain vowels sounding "eastern". I've always loved to hear the southern drawl. My mother would get incensed if anyone even thought to tease her about her southern accent. To this day if she is talking on the phone you will know if it is a relative from KY.

dustin. please don't wear that seersucker suit dude. lmao! u r gonna be talked about like the last president. but as far as being a yankee, once a yankee, ur always a yankee. lol i have a lot of siblings up north, i lived there for a couple of years and didn't like it.

but u will love it here. lol most are kind very friendly and kind. yes it's different than up north but u will quickly adjust and will love it.

good luck to ya.

one thing to remember...be careful about saying anything bad about Elvis. Some people take that very seriously. And if you're in East Tenn...you're likely to get your butt kicked if you insult Dolly Parton.

If you come down here and stay for 10 yrs it changes from Yankee to Damn Yankee.

If you come down here and stay for 10 yrs it changes from Yankee to Damn Yankee.

LOL

What if your relatives are originally from the South, but you've lived North most of your life?

You better take some White Castle with ya  :thumbsup:

lol....nah I know they have Krystals there!  :thumbsup:

we have both white castle & krystal, but krystal is the best

born & raised in the Nashville area-I don't think it will that you long to adjust

you will love the hills of Tennessee

:thumbsup:

When someone asks about wher u from, use the southern relatives for location. Save details for when u get to know better ;D:thumbsup:

one thing to remember...be careful about saying anything bad about Elvis. Some people take that very seriously. And if you're in East Tenn...you're likely to get your butt kicked if you insult Dolly Parton.

Where in Tn are you.I have a lakelot at Douglas Lake Dandridge Tn...

lol :laugh:Elvis practically a next door neighbor. We like Dolly on this end too :thumbsup:

I moved to Atlanta from Indiana back in '96.  Of course I was a Yankee for a while, then I became a damn Yankee after I married a local  ;D

The whole Yankee thing is really no big deal, people are really nice.  You won't change the locals, so accept the differences in culture without judging, and can enjoy life wherever you end up!  :)

Yeah, we loved Nashville when we went to visit.  In a couple weekends we are going to go down there again to look for places to live.

Any places we should avoid?  Close proximity to the Vanderbilt Campus would be fantastic.  We are also considering buying a house instead of renting.  The only issue is that we may not be there for too long and buying and selling a house within ~2 year span doesn't seem incredibly appealing.  Part of me seems to think that it may grow on us quickly enough that we may stay significantly longer though. 

Where in Tn are you.I have a lakelot at Douglas Lake Dandridge Tn...

I am in upper east Tennessee...about 70 miles from Dandridge...been to Douglas lake many times...great seafood place down there called "cowboys' I think.

dustinjtrr

I am not sure how close you want to be to vandy.  Around vandy can be a little expensive.  Stay away from dickerson rd,murfreesboro rd & nolensville rd.  I myself prefer to live outside nashville & drive a little (country living is the best).  Terry Deselms with ReMax sold our last house, he is the top seller in nashville.  If you have the time it is always best just to drive around and look.  I live in ridgetop which is north of nashville (about 30 to 45 minutes to vandy).  If I can be of any help just e-mail me @ cecil.smith26@comcast.net

Just in case no one has told you yet, people in nashville cannot drive in snow (it is either 5 mph or 95 mph).

Good luck with the move & @ vandy

cas26rr

dustinjtrr

Just in case no one has told you yet, people in nashville cannot drive in snow (it is either 5 mph or 95 mph).

Dont u just love the ones that slow down before going up a hill?  :thumbsup:

If ur scared to drive it. Leave it in the driveway. :thumbsup: