Sign in to follow this  
midwestgamecompany

BGS Vinyl or Ebay Vinyl

Which vinyl would be a better use. 

BGS Vinyl from US CUTTER

or

Vinyl From Ebay.  I believe the brand is Shinerite

The BGS is a little cheaper, but which would be a better vinyl

I use it for decals on wood cornhole boards.  Dont want to spend a fortune on the vinyl. I have been using the Vinyl from ebay and it works pretty good, but i have no experience with the BGS. 

Thanks

I have no experience with the Ebay Vinyl, But I do not like the BGS vinyl at all. What you save buying cheap vinyl you pay for in labor getting the stuff to work. A decal that should take a couple minutes to apply, you can spend 5 minutes just getting off the backing in one piece. it doesn't work well with clear application tape and only has a 1-2 year outdoor life span.

I bought 13 rolls of BGS because it was cheap, and every roll behaves differently. One weeds great but applies horrible, the next applies great and weeds horribly. One roll just sucks all around. I have made a bunch of stuff with it to try things out but I could have done twice as much, in the same time period, using Oracal vinyl.

Spend the extra few dollars and get Oracal, you won't regret it.

Kevin

I bought a roll of silver BGS and am having trouble getting application tape to stick to it. The R Tape "paper tape" I have won't stick at all. The clear R Tape sticks for a minute or two but if I let the decals sit, it loses its stickiness and I have to rub the heck out of it to make it stick again.

I have also purchased some BGS and havent used yet. I bought the 5 color starter pack and now I'm afraid to use it...lol. I need to learn how to do two color decals so I think I will use it to play with. Mostly I use oracle and I buy it from fellers as they are pretty close and will deliver free of charge anything they have to pull from another warehouse out of state. I love oracle!

Renee

Space Design

I have the same problem with some rolls, I have tried everything. For the most part the Paper tape sticks ok, but the clear app tape is a no go on bgs. I tried wiping the surface with alcohol prior to cleaning and it didn't make any difference.

not sure what the fix is. Bigegr things work fine, but small letters and detail stuff is a pain.

I bought one roll and it's a mess to weed. It takes so much time to get anywhere with it.

I will share one thing I found with BGS, If you cut too deep, I mean just barely scoring the paper, it's a bear to weed. You have to find that happy medium between deep enough it will weed and not touching the paper. It's a very fine line but I do 2 or three test rectangles prior to each cut to make sure it's right. And never assume that if you change from Black BGS to a roll of Blue that the settings are the same. Their not. Check it every time. Your going to waste that first 2 inches of vinyl anyway since it's rolled so tight it bows up too much to use that part so do your test cuts there.

i am finding it much easier to work with if i go through the setup every time I cut a roll.

i have BGS vinyl and no problem weeding big or small , only problem so far is application tape clear or off white doesn't stick to the vinyl i've tried clear laminate shelf paper it works alittle better , but i recommend Oracal vinyl