Big Rich

48" Transfer Tape Dispenser - $15 DIY

I wanted to share something, just because I know some might agree that some of the 36" dispensers for $288 -300 are crazy...

I wasn't willing to pay anything close to that. Even the $80 wrapping paper dispensers were getting steep for my pocket book.

Materials - So I went to home depot, and bought two "Heavy Duty Closet Rod" brackets for about $3.88 each. Then for $.98 i bought a bag of copper clamps for holding copper piping for plumbing. and a few steel screws.  I happened to of had a 4 ft" metal closet rod left over from a project. But you can pick these up somewhere reasonable Im sure. So with the $10 of stuff I bought at HD. Put it together and bolted it down to my work area. It slides in and out pretty easy to swap out sizes, and is quite sturdy. As good or better than the holders at my local sign shop.

I built the work area as well. I used to have MDF as a top, but I recently changed it and put up a board that had laminate on it and now its smooth like a countertop and its huge. A full 4x8 sheet.

Anyhow hope this helps. Im kind of lucky to have half of my basement to my own use so 500 sq ft lets me make a cool little shop.

BTW coming soon, I have a cool idea to create a rack system for my vinyls at a fraction of the cost with stuff from Ikea..  That grassroots project will be coming..

I would like to see what you guys might have done to create some low cost tools or shortcuts..

Pics are with the iphone so they are not HD or anything...

post-2782-12986534044943_thumb.jpg

post-2782-12986534056202_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Man, that is awesome!! I just got my application tape the other day - and was pondering ways to make my own dispenser - very nice!!

Now thats KISS engineering. I could not find any of those 3" cores so i made some at work the other day out of 3/4 uhmw (plywood would work as well) and am in the process of designing my stand. Yours is a lot simplier than what i had in mind. I like it!! ;D

Guest fivestar

That's about the way I did mine.  I bought 2 eye bolts and a dowel rod, that's it.

post-0-1298653409688_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986534105717_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the post. I agree that $200-$300 is way too much for a tape dispenser. I like to people's ingenuity and both these look good.

I wanted to share something, just because I know some might agree that some of the 36" dispensers for $288 -300 are crazy...

I wasn't willing to pay anything close to that. Even the $80 wrapping paper dispensers were getting steep for my pocket book.

Materials - So I went to home depot, and bought two "Heavy Duty Closet Rod" brackets for about $3.88 each. Then for $.98 i bought a bag of copper clamps for holding copper piping for plumbing. and a few steel screws.  I happened to of had a 4 ft" metal closet rod left over from a project. But you can pick these up somewhere reasonable Im sure. So with the $10 of stuff I bought at HD. Put it together and bolted it down to my work area. It slides in and out pretty easy to swap out sizes, and is quite sturdy. As good or better than the holders at my local sign shop.

I built the work area as well. I used to have MDF as a top, but I recently changed it and put up a board that had laminate on it and now its smooth like a countertop and its huge. A full 4x8 sheet.

Anyhow hope this helps. Im kind of lucky to have half of my basement to my own use so 500 sq ft lets me make a cool little shop.

BTW coming soon, I have a cool idea to create a rack system for my vinyls at a fraction of the cost with stuff from Ikea..  That grassroots project will be coming..

I would like to see what you guys might have done to create some low cost tools or shortcuts..

Pics are with the iphone so they are not HD or anything...

here's an idea, why not just fix the Heavy Duty Closet Rod brackets straight to the wall at the end of your bench?

regards  duke

I bought my dispenser on ebay for around 30.00. It's about as wide as my table so I'm able to put 2 rolls of app tape on the rod. I need to buy a wider width of app tape though. I bought 8 in. and a roll of 12 in., but would like a wider width also.  I love your dispenser! Very nice! Sandy

I just welded a few pieces of 1" square tubing together, and then added a plate base so I could clamp them to my work table. About $5.00 worth of material.

Here's a pitcute of my current vinyl holder... made it for about $40.00, fits under the table and out of the way perfectly.

post-1656-12986534140625_thumb.jpg

post-1656-1298653414101_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12986534152188_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12986534152445_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

Guys those are great!  You can pick those brackets up for $1 at most Dollar Generals - I go there for all cheep supplies for my furniture finishes.

here's an idea, why not just fix the Heavy Duty Closet Rod brackets straight to the wall at the end of your bench?

regards  duke

I have the spacing on the end so we can get around the bench to work on the other side. I thought about doing a wall mount but this happens to work pretty good and is accessible and still easy to work with. Also the basement walls are concrete, Really didn't want to create an opportunity for them to leak or anything.

BTW - The screws that I was using to mount it to the bench were large, and I need to ratchet them all the way in. The drill I was using could only mount them so far in. But it is very sturdy.