Sign in to follow this  
jgreen

Long term banner material?

I am looking for long term banner material.  The heaviest I have found is 16oz. material.  I've never used anything that heavy before.  Doing twelve banners that will be outdoors along our main street.  I want them to last as long as possible.  They will be taken down during the winter months.

Are these going to be Lamp Post Banners? I have used a 18oz block out banner from Creative Banner (I think it is there Titan Brand). These were 30"x 60" and digitally printed on both sides. They have been up now for over a year with no problems except some of the existing brackets should have been replaced before the install. The city would not let me install them due to insurance reasons, so I was left out of the loop on that part. We are in Southern Minnesota where the wind really blows and the bitter cold this past winter has not effected them.  Of course them stitched with a pocket on the top and bottom and down the sides and the stitches were re-enforced with a nylon strap.

That is exactly what I'm making, Dimensions and all.  I like the nylon strap idea along the seams.  18oz. material seems plenty heavy to me too.  The bracket measurements the city gave me were 30x60" so I am assuming I will need to center the pockets on the 60" measurment.  I am going to make a trial banner first to make sure the fit is right though.

they can also be done using thinner material and stitching them back to back but of course uses a lot more material.

To clarify my previous post "Of course them stitched with a pocket on the top and bottom and down the sides and the stitches were re-enforced with a nylon strap."  there is no pocket on the sides but the nylon strap goes across the top and bottom where the stitch is by also on the side on the inside of the pockets so that the bracket post do not wear the vinyl out and cause it to tear.

Stitching it is important. Do not depend on tape. I get a local upholstery shop to do all my stitching me. Put the grommets in after it is stitched and into the inside of the pocket so that the grommet is installed into the nylon. Make sure when setting it up you leave enough room for the pocket with the grommet so that the post will still have enough room to slide into the pocket. I usually make a 4.5" fold over area which give enough for the 3" pocket and 1 1/2" for the nylon and stitching (make sure the stitching goes over the edge of  of where the fold over edge meets the banner itself and make sure it is at least a double stitch everywhere)

Thanks for all the advise! ;D  Fortunately for me, my grandfather has been running his own upholstery shop for over 50 years now.  He's always wanting to help out, and this might be a good excuse to spend some quality time together.