Sign in to follow this  
midwaste

Ebay engravers?

I'm inerested too if anyone has used them.  I just noticed uscutter now has flat extentions for the p-cut (I just sold) for cutting flat items

Just buy one midwaste and let us know if it work.. or if you like it... :huh:

Heh, I can get a carbide punch tip that will probably fit in our existing holders for a few bucks.. :huh:

Im not paying $89 for a DVD and another blade holder!

Ill look into it and see what I can find out.

And, with all due respect, $50 seems a little steep for the flatbed attachments for the Pcuts, especially for the small size.

It's called diamond drag engraving.  Pretty standard for most trophy shops apparently.  McMaster-Carr has a ton of different style blanks, colored top that expose brass/aluminum, plastic, etc.

Here is a video of it on a craft robo:  http://www.motionbox.com/videos/1f9ad8b31e1ee492

However, I havent been able to find a 5/64" diameter shank diamond drag tool.  1/8" seems to be pretty common, although that will not fit into the stock blade holder.  The stock blades are 5/64" or 0.077".  The shank of the blade holder without the bearing/spring assembly is .182, too far above the 4mm diameter drag tips I could find to be tight enough.

However, I did remember that I have an electric engraver.  It has an 1/8" diameter x 3/4" long steel tip.  This did not stick out past the end of the stock blade holder, as the angle is pretty wide on the engraver tip.  So, I took an 1/8" drill bit and countersunk the inside of the tip:

ad2q68.jpg

Note:  This will not affect the normal function of your cutter with a standard blade.

The inside tip of the blade holder is springy.  The 3/4" length of the tip bottomed out the spring and still had plenty of thread to engage:

bdjt5u.jpg

The tip protrudes approx .055".  I have no doubt this would engrave aluminum/brass, etc.  However, as this is steel, I think I will try to get an 1/8" diamond tip and cut it down to ~1/2-3/4" and try that instead.

Would be nice to have the flats on the cutter, I plan on using heatpress backer for a transfer sheet.  I guess I could build some, but if USCutter wanted to donate some to the AHEM, community, I would be more than happy to test them out.. :huh:

If this works, Ill make a full instructional contribution, video and all.

Ok, I'm really interested in using the cutters to engrave. I currently have 5 scratch/drag engravers that I use mainly for engraving jewelry. There's no way a cutter could do what I need to do as the jewelry isn't flat. It could work on thin plates for plaques though. My concern from watching the craft robo video is that it seems the cutter goes in the oposite direction that it normally cuts. Is this something I'm imagining? I can't see how the holders could keep the metal it's engraving straight and pull it through in the opposite direction.  Maybe I'm just not thinking right....I'd like to hear what you all find out though. Shows possibilities.....Sandy

Another note about the holder....The drag engraver holder for a regular engraver runs around 600l.00. Any of the engraver parts are horribly expensive. These engravers haven't changed much in the last 50.00 years  $89.00 to be able to use the cutter and software would be an amazing price! Sandy

Ok, I'm really interested in using the cutters to engrave. I currently have 5 scratch/drag engravers that I use mainly for engraving jewelry. There's no way a cutter could do what I need to do as the jewelry isn't flat. It could work on thin plates for plaques though. My concern from watching the craft robo video is that it seems the cutter goes in the oposite direction that it normally cuts. Is this something I'm imagining? I can't see how the holders could keep the metal it's engraving straight and pull it through in the opposite direction.  Maybe I'm just not thinking right....I'd like to hear what you all find out though. Shows possibilities.....Sandy

Not sure what you mean by "the cutter goes in the oposite direction that it normally cuts".  "I can't see how the holders could keep the metal it's engraving straight and pull it through in the opposite direction."  Drag cutters cut the same in all directions, so it's pretty much the same as cutting vinyl.

It has to have some type of carrier sheet on it that the rollers engage.  Tonight I tried taking a piece of regular plexi, shot one side with some spray glue and stuck it to a scrap of vinyl.  It pulled it back and forth fine.  However, I am just using a dull steel tip, so, even at the highest pressure on the LP (200), it didnt make much of a grave. 

I am ordering some diamond point tips, dont see why it wouldn't work pretty well, other than the limitation of the downpressure on the machines.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well...When my cutter cuts,. the cutter sits and starts at the end of the roll of vinyl and eventually cuts the design and sends it out the cutter. It rolls the vinyl from the back to front as it cuts, right? The video looks like the engraving is moving in the opposite direction. It's pulling the engraved metal toward the back of the cutter. Does that make sense?Sandy

The diamond tips don't cut very well on steel or stainless steel. They are really good for soft metals like sterling or gold. I engrave on silver plate often. and have to engrave 2-3 times to get it engraved well enough. That's with my drag engraver though....

The cutter determines the path based on what you have it set to, i.e. shortest path, least vinyl movement, least cutter movement.  It doesn't matter if it rolls all the vinyl out and starts at the back or starts at the front and works its way to the back, i dont think.  It shouldnt matter with engraving either.

As far as going over the path several times, you could just copy/paste 2 or 3 design directly over the top of each other and it will do this.  A lot of people have this problem when cutting vinyl because they dont realize that they have 2 designs in the software.

I saw those engravers on ebay, and asked Ken about them, and he said it wasn't a good idea to use one with a Refine cutter.  That it would be too much wear and tear on the unit.

D

I would be interested in seeing people's results with that kit  :thumbsup:

Guest Schramm

So do all the plotters do engraving using this software and head?  It is very interesting, I am also interested to hear about the pouncing head that is also for sale on ebay.

i would not use something like this because it creates metal shavings. that is something i do not want in my office or on my plotter. now if i were to perhaps upgrade to a better plotter for cutting vinyl. i could dedicate my old machine to something like that and put it out in my shop.

bb

Guest Schramm

Cutme,

Did a lot of reading on this and I totally agree with you.  Many people who only have one cutter and have used engravers like this have had terrible trouble with their unit within a few short months and they also mention the metal shavings cause a lot of issues.  I think I'll pass but I will say this, engravers are expensive and I love to save a buck ask anyone that knows me I am a tight wad but $89-99 for the ability to engrave DIRT CHEAP!

Cutme,

Did a lot of reading on this and I totally agree with you.  Many people who only have one cutter and have used engravers like this have had terrible trouble with their unit within a few short months and they also mention the metal shavings cause a lot of issues.  I think I'll pass but I will say this, engravers are expensive and I love to save a buck ask anyone that knows me I am a tight wad but $89-99 for the ability to engrave DIRT CHEAP!

the real engravers are just that, engravers. their cutter rotates like a router. that engraving in the craft robo video looks pretty sketchy.

bb

bb

i would not use something like this because it creates metal shavings. that is something i do not want in my office or on my plotter. now if i were to perhaps upgrade to a better plotter for cutting vinyl. i could dedicate my old machine to something like that and put it out in my shop.

bb

Good call on the shavings.  A shopvac held by the cutter would take care of this, but would obviously make the engraving a little more of a PITA.