cohesion

Opinion needed: best wet app

So I'm going to try some wet app soon and I was wondering what you pros use. What brand spray do you use and why do you like it? Any secrets or tips I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

Guest fivestar

I use the brand  pure H2O.  :) :) ;D Seriously I use straight water, set your sprayer to a very fine mist and I have no problems at all.

I bought a quart of rapidtacII a few months ago. I did a test using it and my home-made stuff. Same vinyl,same substrate,same cut. Everything equal. The RapidTac did no better than my $2 a gallon solution. In fact,on coroplast,not as good.

Results may vary, but this was a side-by-side,all things equal test.

Put a drop of Dawn dish soap in a large spray bottle full of water.  If you want it to dry quicker add some alcohol to the mix.  Some may debate the mixture, but it is a personal preference thing in my opinion.  Also, I like to spray the application tape before I remove it so that it comes off easier.

Guest fivestar

Also, I like to spray the application tape before I remove it so that it comes off easier.

Yes I do too, then rub my hand over it and you can see the glue releasing from the tape and vinyl.

I use RapidTac II as well.  

I do agree that the home made stuff works just as well, if it is correctly mixed.

I use the RapidTac because it is a "name brand" product that I use to help promote a professional appearance when installing my product.

It is also a somewhat local company (in Oregon anyway) to me.

I use a mixture of water, dishwashing liquid, and alcohol, nothing else. About 3-4 drops of the soap, and a sip of the alcohol for a quart spray bottle. I then set the tip to spray a really fine mist and use that.

I used to use RapidTac all the time and swore by it for a while, but now, my homemade solution is no different, minus the wonderful smell.

I think the alcohol makes everything dry up and tack up faster. Your results may vary. :)

--Cory

Guest sciondrgn

I do agree that the home made stuff works just as well, if it is correctly mixed.

I use the RapidTac because it is a "name brand" product that I use to help promote a professional appearance when installing my product.

You could always just mix your own and put it in the RapidTac bottle >>  :)  :)

I just use Water,Soap and a cap of alcohol

As the folks from guinness would say.....BRILLIANT!

You could always just mix your own and put it in the RapidTac bottle >>   :)  :)

I was always told to use soap without any alcohol.

Dawn has alcohol in it, plus your adding it to the solution.

So.... alcohol doesn't degrade the vinyls adhesive in any way :) :)

Wow, thanks everyone. I think I will make up some homemade stuff and get a bottle of RapidTac and see what I think. I'm interested in the homemade stuff... why pay for something you can make?

You guys rock!

You don't want to use DENATURED alcohol, using the Isopropyl (spelling?) alcohol is fine which is like regular rubbing alcohol that you use for everyday things. I have not had any problems with it so far, others may be able to chime in on that though.

--Cory

You could always just mix your own and put it in the RapidTac bottle >>   :)  :)

That makes perfect sense. Esp since nobody except those of us in the trade knows what rapidtac is.

If I wanted to look more professional, I'd just spend $15 on a T-shirt or Hoodie with my company name on it.

For you drummers out there...and I know there are a few... I can convince the averag joe that I am using $300 Ziljian cymbols instead of $50 Codas with $.50 cents worth of black vinyl.

You don't want to use DENATURED alcohol, using the Isopropyl (spelling?) alcohol is fine which is like regular rubbing alcohol that you use for everyday things. I have not had any problems with it so far, others may be able to chime in on that though.

--Cory

BINGO cory! Danatured is a solvent and will affect the adhesive. It is good for removing adhesive residue though.

For you drummers out there...and I know there are a few... I can convince the averag joe that I am using $300 Ziljian cymbols instead of $50 Codas with $.50 cents worth of black vinyl.

I, can hear the differerance  :) But you are right a little vinyl and you are all set  :)

Jon

I, can hear the differerance  :) But you are right a little vinyl and you are all set  :D

Jon

I can too...but as they say, you don't have to be good,just loud..at least in Rock...and most of the crowd is drunk anyway,usually.

Just for fun,let me tell you one thing...the only cymbol I ever saw that was cracked was a real Ziljian. And the guy still wanted $120 for it.

The other reason I use rapidtac is because of the cold weather performance that they demonstrate. 

Does the home made stuff work as well in the cold? 

I, can hear the differerance  ;D But you are right a little vinyl and you are all set  :)

Jon

My husband is a drummer, so I know what your talking about. He goes through cymbols like crazy... He only buys heavy ones. I'll have to let him know about the vinyl. That's funny, and a good idea.

I can too...but as they say, you don't have to be good,just loud..at least in Rock...and most of the crowd is drunk anyway,usually.

Just for fun,let me tell you one thing...the only cymbol I ever saw that was cracked was a real Ziljian. And the guy still wanted $120 for it.