cutme

my new website

/rant on

Tables are wrong

/rant off

I can't stand when people use tables and formating IN their html.

Brad, why do you dislike "tables" so much?

Guest fivestar

Your webpages are not in tables, in other words on different monitor resolutions the page looks different. I see you centered the menu.....but on my monitor which is very large, the menu is way to the right of the image, and the image only covers about half my screen.

Yup same here on my 22" monitor.

what do you have your screen res set at?

bb

1680x1050

I agree....css is better all the way around, but the fact is that its a much more difficult concept for people to understand and learn how to use effectively, and I don't feel beginners should be pushed away from using them quite so harshly. 

Sure its much easier for YOU to manipulate a css site...but I disagree respectfully that its much easier for a new user to change their site.

But yes you are right....css is in all ways superior to tables, except ease of use.

1. Tables are for data.

2. If you want a search engine to find you information, you should conform to the standards.

3. With a correctly formated page, it will look the same on what ever kind of screen or browser.

4. It is harder to change you page layout when you want to.

All formating should be done in css. By using tables for formating it may seem easy, but it is not as easy to change and your code is then bloated.

Look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:When_to_use_tables

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#tables

I have not problem with using tables for data, as they are meant for.

I agree....css is better all the way around, but the fact is that its a much more difficult concept for people to understand and learn how to use effectively, and I don't feel beginners should be pushed away from using them quite so harshly. 

Sure its much easier for YOU to manipulate a css site...but I disagree respectfully that its much easier for a new user to change their site.

But yes you are right....css is in all ways superior to tables, except ease of use.

I think it is superior even in ease of use.

Ever looked at a site coded with tables and had to make an update or layout change to it (in code view, no WYSIWYG stuff)??

It also comes down to just being able to hammer out clean, easy-to-read, well documented code and that comes with experience in doing it long enough.

I am currently building a site now where the user will be able to instantly choose from 5 different layouts/color schemes using CSS, just using a simple dropdown menu. With tables that would be such a nightmare that it is not even funny.

I do agree that tables have their place and I use them often to display actual tabular data, but for layout, I strongly recommend that anyone serious about creating a good website should learn the right way and look into XHTML/CSS.

--Cory

Yes...you are agreeing with me....css is better in all ways.  But if you look at his webpage he is going to have difficulty trying to implement a css solution...tables would be quick and easy.  And like I said...css may be easier for YOU...but not for someone starting out at least in my opinion.  Not everyone is a coder....and he is also building his site using dreamweaver, which is wysiwyg. 

Anyways, we have successfully taken this thread off topic with our ramblings...so I will stop now.  Cutme keep at it, no matter what you use, web design is a deep deep well, with a lot of different opinions on how to do things (as you can see).  If you want to take the extra time to learn more about web design....learn about CSS once you figure it out it will make all things much easier.  If you are just trying to get yourself a webpage up and going.....I would recommend throwing in a table to keep things where you want them for people who have different screen resolutions.

I think it is superior even in ease of use.

Ever looked at a site coded with tables and had to make an update or layout change to it (in code view, no WYSIWYG stuff)??

It also comes down to just being able to hammer out clean, easy-to-read, well documented code and that comes with experience in doing it long enough.

I am currently building a site now where the user will be able to instantly choose from 5 different layouts/color schemes using CSS, just using a simple dropdown menu. With tables that would be such a nightmare that it is not even funny.

I do agree that tables have their place and I use them often to display actual tabular data, but for layout, I strongly recommend that anyone serious about creating a good website should learn the right way and look into XHTML/CSS.

--Cory

Did anyone miss the JATO on top of the VAN  :) I fully support the use of JATO's  :)

I will ride shotgun with you anyday  :)

Jon

Did anyone miss the JATO on top of the VAN  ;D I fully support the use of JATO's  :D

I will ride shotgun with you anyday  :)

Jon

its not really a jato, but it does have a theatrical fog machine in it that looks really cool when driving down the road. did you also notice that there is four feet missing out of the middle? the bio link is a pic the afternoon i cut it in half.

bb

thanks guys for the input. i have a lot of reading to do...

by the way, the van does wheelies and drags the muffler.  ;D:) :D

bb

Cutme...I agree with the top comments, the background is WAY too distracting and on my computer the graphic veers to the left of my 22" monitor and cuts off 1/3 of the way to the bottom.  IMO, you should scale down the photos to make it easier on the eye and make all the backgrounds lighter.  I too am learning DW and it is all so confusing but great when you get things accomplished.  I don't know BEANS about CSS...what the heck is table formatting?  Gee, what does my site look like on other computers?:) :)  www.peddygraphics.com TOTALLY in the prelims as far as where I am at on it.  I want my Blue SPLAT in the corner of the BOX where PG is but don't know how to accomplish that...any ideas?

Any HELP is AWSOME

Dazzel

BTW Cutme....CUDOS my friend for tackling DW as I too know how cumbersome it can be but they say there is an easier way and I intend to find that way!  GOD Bless your Journey with it!

by the way, the van does wheelies and drags the muffler.  :):) :)

bb

Is it yours? I have a super beetle and a rail that I play with.

Dazzel,

Yours looks pretty good on my computer, everything stays centered.

When we talk about table design, or css design...basically they are ways to build your page so things stay put and look good on different resolutions and such.  Without any tables or css, if you design your website for a computer with an 1024x768 resolution, and then some of us with big 22 inch screens view it its way different, because centered on one monitor isn't centered on another.

Originally when webpages started....all sites were built with tables.  Then came CSS, which is a much better and more customizable way to build your webpage.  You might just google css webpage design or just some intro to web page design, you will probably see examples of both.  CSS is the way to go if you want to do some learning.

Zimmerman is my site centered becasue I "Tabled" it all? ROTFLMBO because I designed my website not knowing if I tabled it or not!!! :)  OK... so it's gonna be a late night because Iv'e gotta get this down RIGHT, I don't want any ordianry web site, I want one that EXPLODES off the monitor..ok, maybe not explode, but attractive and easy to use for everyone alike. CSS and Expression here I come.

Thanks mucho for all the details...

Dazzel

From a quick look at the code yes...looks like the whole this is in a table, and then the table is centered.  Which is why it works well on different resolutions.  So yeah you did it without knowing it.

Dazzel,  Your site looks very good to me too.  It is centered just fine.  If you want your paint splat behind your PG  then you would have to redo the layers of your

PeddyGraphicsanddesignweb.jpg .  Did you by any chance save the layers when you did that design?  If so, just go back & move the splat over where you want it.

You are on the right track.  I am a hand coder,  I guess I have to start learning DM to though or I will be out dated.

Barbara

by the way, the van does wheelies and drags the muffler.  :):) :)

bb

Is it yours? I have a super beetle and a rail that I play with.

yes, that is me standing in the middle of the two halves.

bb

Painted...yes I saved the design but went a different route.  I do a lot of my design work in PS CS4 so I made a different BG which I love. I am now having problems with Index.html and Index.dwt...the html page will not let me change it to what I have on the index.dwt.  Does that make sense? I dont want what's on the dwt but it won't let me change it. ARG...I can't believe you are a hand coder...you must be a genious!!!! to know all those codes off the top of your head....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!

Cut me ...WOW, what a great read indeed :D THanks....so CSS is working in CODE only? I HATE CODE....too busy it makes my eyes tired!

Zimmerman -Thanks my friend

Dazzel

Dazzel,  Trust me, I am no genius. Its just like anything once you learn it, you know it.

I still have to look things up on occasion though.

I see in your code where you have used a couple of dwt templates in your tables. If you want to get rid of those then you need to go in & delete them.  That should take care of the change you want.

Barbara

Barbara -

When I change things around on the index.html page and then view it...it looks the same as if I never changed anything at all.  And then when I go to SAVE, it says "save as Template" and it prompts me to "save as......index" when I do that to see what happens it saves as index.dwt.  WHat should be in my templates folder?    :o:angel:  ARG...

What am I doing wrong? I feel like if I stare at the screen long enough the answere will hit me in the head...but it's been all day...NOTHIN' LOL

Dazzel

OK...who wants to come over and show me how to do this?;D  Flights are cheap right? LOL

Yes I am as I have not purchased any CMS or at this moment have any clue as to use them (in the works) I was thinking on going with Expression Engine as they seem pretty easy to understand for a "dummy" like me...you know "web for dummies"

LOL

Dazzel

Dazzel,  Unfortunately I need DreamWeaver for dummies.  I know nothing about it at all.

I am sure someone here can help you with that template. There has to be a way to delete it.

Just make sure you copy it (notepad) before you play around so you do not delete anything you want.

Have you tried closing your html page before trying to delete it?

Pretty funny that you mentioned flights.  I was in WA a couple of months ago before I got into all this.

Barbara

Well Barbara...why didn't you come see me then?:angel:  I am thinking about starting from scratch as this is driving me Koo-Koo.  I have all the pics and type saved so it would be a matter of just cutting and pasting right?

Dazzel

THanks for your help