Sign in to follow this  
laras4labs

Schein Fluorescent Vinyl, any good??

Good mornig everyone!!  I am getting ready to letter a sprint car for a friend (a free job thanks to my husband,  ;D). Anyway, in order not to lose my butt big time, I was looking at cheaper fluorescent vinyls and sign warehouse carries Schein Holographic fluorescent vinyl 24x10 for $42.00.  Have any of you tried this stuff and is it any good?  I'm not plnning on doing too many graphics on the car, just the car number and I do mine in 4 layers. Any insight is really appreciated because my hubby picked a financially bad time to offer "free work".

Thank you in advance!

A buddy of mine has been doin cut vinyl for over 20 years & does alot of dirt race cars . He gets the " sponsor me with free vinyl & it will get you ALOT of work " It did , all free or cheap . I don't think he ever made a decent buck . His passion is dirt race cars & it makes him part of the click , so I guess he is paid . He goes thru elaborate stuff & makes it very colorfull , but not readable when racing .

That's what I am afraid is going to happen. It's sort of a strange deal with my husband. He has a racing collectables business, selling nascar stuff and we take our trailer and go to a dirt track every weekend and sell. I discovered after being left there by myself while he is in the pits that I need to appeal to kids too, not only adults. So I started buying glow sticks, flashing toys and blinky stuff for kids. My husband GAVE that crap away left and right. But the one time I cheap sold a Clint Bowyer autographed diecast car for 50.00 bucks, he didn't speak to me for 2 weeks. Well, when I finally decided to spend the money for a cutter, the software, and everything that you need with it, he thought it was a "waste of money" until he started seeing how much money you can make just selling diecut stickers alone. Then when I felt like I knew enough to tackle bigger things like race cars, he saw dollar signs and I heard the bells going off in his head.  I finally get the first one and it rocked.  I spent days designing it and 2 days lettering it because I am "new" and very particular but the guy loved it and he couldn't be happer.  The second one comes along and I guess my husband thinks that we do work for Charity because this is the "freebie" and the guy "ain't got no money".  I ain't got no money either. My philosophy is if you can't afford to pay for your car, you shouldn't race. But, that's the case which is why I wanted cheap fluorescent vinyl, because he wants it "bright" and my logo is fluorescent too, which is gonna be on that car too. Free letter job for them, free advertising for me.  ;D

I understand exactly what you are saying . Seems 99% of the racers are spending money they really shouldn't be & the only way to get by is to free-load as much as possible . Everybody is gonna be the next Jeff Gordan... right ? Them paying for materials is getting it free in my opinion .

There is a Daytona 500 09 thread where several members pick 2 racers & see who gets the best combined finish .. I am tied for last place  ;D .

Thanks Rodger, I'll check it out. 

I won the pot last weekend for kennseth winning. I was mad when I drew Matt's number because I wanted Kyle Busch (even though I totally can't stand that stuck-up little punk), but I thought Kyle would be a sure thing. Proved me wrong!! I won 29 dollars!! I really do think that Tony Stewart will be one to watch this year. Just have a good feeling about him.

Thanks Rodger, I'll check it out. 

I won the pot last weekend for kennseth winning. I was mad when I drew Matt's number because I wanted Kyle Busch (even though I totally can't stand that stuck-up little punk), but I thought Kyle would be a sure thing. Proved me wrong!! I won 29 dollars!! I really do think that Tony Stewart will be one to watch this year. Just have a good feeling about him.

I like Kyle's attitude after geting booted from Hendricks in order to make room for Jr . He was on a mission last year & will continue it . Jr's little move cost Kyle last week . I don't like Lagono because of his cockiness ... but that is part of what made me like Dale Sr so much , Sr could back it up like Kyle can .  Hey , you won $29 .. I would go with # 29 ( I already have as he is my fav driver out of my fav org RCR  ;D:)

Hey!! You're right. Harvick it is tomorrow.  I'm gonna owe you big time if I win again.  Naw, I like Jr. He's my fav second to his dad. Kyle is an excellent driver, don't get me wrong. I just get aggravated with some of his remarks sometimes.  I don't like Logano too much either but no one is worse than Juan "Problem" Montoya. But if I could pick a driver based on personality wishing that they could drive better, it would be Kenny Wallace by far. He's a RIOT!  We ran into him down in the pits at a dirt track here last fall during race weekend (Kansas Speedway). Kenny was there to race his late model and I was trying to get up the nerve to go talk to him and he caught me staring at him. So, just to embarass me, he stuck his thumbs in his ears, cocked his head, crossed his eyes and stuck his tongue out at me and made a "Doodle, Doodle, Doodle" sound.  It shocked me so bad all I could do was blush and walk away as fast as I could.  I could hear him laughing forever. So the group we were with all went over and talked him and I hid in the trailer like a huge wuss.  Good ol' Lara, never at a loss for words and will talk to anyone anytime, ran and hid. Jeez. I still haven't lived that one down yet. ;D

I might grow to like Jr in time , but after his dad died , I think it was very disrespectful to continue to wear his hat like his dad told him not to . I also know Sr would have wanted Jr to defend Tereasa instead of mildly going along with the media & especially stick with the company that Sr left in his wife's control . I think Jr got castrated in military school . I like it when Kyle places better than Jr & even like it when Casey Kane ( who I don't like )  beats Jr with the Bud car

I do agree with you about Kenny Wallace . He is a card !!!

Yes, Kenny is nuts. I love him to pieces. That show on sunday mornings with Kenny, John Roberts and Jimmy Spencer is great. A really good friend of ours looks almost exactly like Jimmy Spencer, size, hair, voice and all and he acts like him too. It's almost like having Jimmy here in the house.  We just tell him "shut up Jimmy".

Now I am researching the usb to serial cables so I can stop this "hanging" in the middle of a large job. I'm trying to find a usb to serial adapter to a 25pin serial which is what my computer has in the back or a nine pin to 25 pin to be able to use the serial cable that came with this thing. Am I on the wrong track? I just about chucked the computer, the cutter and a roll of vinyl out the window about 20 minutes ago. Signcut X2, Windows XP, Laserpoint 24. I think it's time to go back to bed and start the day over again. Who would have thought that a quick banner job for someone would almost cost me a new computer, cutter, roll of red vinyl as well as the window, screen, and mini-blinds.  ;D I have a new name for these items.......wait, this is a family forum. I'll be nice.

I just bought a serial to serial from Radio Shack for $18 & it worked great , I am still on the usb converter here in Md . That cable is fragile & I have replaced it several times because it doesn't take abuse well . If you get a serial cable ( everybody's advice ) , you need female to female ends .

edit : Kyle Bush kicks butt in truck race , wins & leads all but 5 laps  ;D ( I might be repeating this tomorrow LOL )