Sign in to follow this  
routesmith

February is Adopt A Rabbit month - public service announcement

Seeing this is an off topic section, I just wanted to put my two cents worth in on this cause considering I have a rabbit.

February is adopt a rabbit month, I am cutting 20 of these decals each for my local animal hospitals and shelters, if you want to cut one and put it on your car please do!

Some facts about rabbits:

Rabbits are great house pets, they CAN be toilet trained very easily so you dont have to keep them caged.

Rabbits love to run around your house.

Rabbits are very affectionate.

I got my rabbit because I was looking for another pet that will be bird friendly as I have two parrots. Unlike a cat or a dog, Bells (my rabbit) doesnt care at all about the two birds and they dont care about Bells as a matter of fact Bells stays very close to the birds as they like to toss their pellets out of the cage and Bells likes NOTHING more than parrot pellets.

Each year a LOT of rabbits are purchased and abandoned at shelters because people don't know how to take care of them. Here are some things you must keep in mind.

Rabbits love to chew, so all wires need to be covered, I suggest spiral wrap that you get for computer cords to keep them organized, this is available by the spool for around $20 on ebay, once you do it, your cords and more importantly your RABBIT will be safe. Keep stuff off the floor that you don't want the rabbit to eat, did I mention they love to chew, they will chew cords, belts, paper, vinyl, app tape,  multi-layer vinyl you worked for an hour to make, waste backing paper, cd's, foam board. No matter what rabbit you get they will chew, its not a behavioral issue, it is instinctive.

Rabbits also love to dig, fortunately Bells only digs in his litter box, but they may dig in carpet or on hardwood floor (he doesn't get very far and he leaves no scratches), this is also instinctive.

Other than that they eat pellets so there is no messy food, they also enjoy fresh green vegetables and lots of them, such as parsley, endive lettuce, romaine lettuce, and others such as of course carrots, also they must have fresh timothy hay around all the time to eat to aid in digestion.

anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this and please adopt a rabbit if you can.

thanks,

Wayne

here is some more reading if you are interested.

www.rabbit.org

post-2294-12986532434335_thumb.jpg

rabbit.EPS

post-2294-12986532435236_thumb.jpg

post-2294-12986532485821_thumb.jpg

rabbit.EPS

post-2294-12986532486322_thumb.jpg

Aw she is cute, love the floppy ears. My daughter just lost her rabbits last year after MANY years. As much as she tried they never liked being held but they would come up to her on their own terms to nuzzle against her. I also have have a parrot, Military Macaw. What kind do you have? At times my husband is pretty sure we are running a zoo over here with 2 labs, fish, and a cat (garage only, not near the parrot) too.

Sorry to hear the loss of your rabbits, Im sure you will agree they are awesome pets, Bells isnt into holding either but other than that he loves to be pet, loves to hang around you, whatever you are doing, If I am eating chips on the couch he is right there trying to be your best friend. One time my wife was eating popcorn watching a movie and bells was perched above her sitting on the top of the couch, then bells smells the popcorn, slowly puts one paw on her shoulder, and ever so slowly the other paw, then his head comes down next and he tried to get something as she was eating it. Having enough of that abuse bells jumps into the popcorn bowl sending popcorn flying everywhere he was in heaven eating popcorn as fast as rabbitly possible before my wife cleaned it up. He pretty much does that all the time now, its funny, you can have food and he doesnt care but if he sees you eating it, I guess he thinks then its a free for all!!! I have two Senegal Parrots, one talks, one clams up and doesnt say anything, the one that doesnt talk (Steve), I have had for 16 years and the other is 7 and she (Harriet) never shuts up. Pets are great!!!

What pets does everybody else have?

Wayne 

My daughter has a rabbit.  We've had the rabbit almost 5 years, and even though she's not much for holding, she loves running around the house.  We do keep her in a cage mostly, but when it's time to clean her cage & litter she just hops around...she's comical really.  I have 3 pugs and the rabbit is not concerned about them and the dogs don't bother her.

It amazed me how fast she took to litter training, and when her water runs out, she clangs that bottle against the cage till someone comes running.....she wont' eat carrots or lettuce....but loves fresh hay and her pellet food.....oh and the empty cardboard from application tape, she loves throwing that around!  ;)

Jenny

Guest kenya

Sorry to hear the loss of your rabbits, Im sure you will agree they are awesome pets, Bells isnt into holding either but other than that he loves to be pet, loves to hang around you, whatever you are doing, If I am eating chips on the couch he is right there trying to be your best friend. One time my wife was eating popcorn watching a movie and bells was perched above her sitting on the top of the couch, then bells smells the popcorn, slowly puts one paw on her shoulder, and ever so slowly the other paw, then his head comes down next and he tried to get something as she was eating it. Having enough of that abuse bells jumps into the popcorn bowl sending popcorn flying everywhere he was in heaven eating popcorn as fast as rabbitly possible before my wife cleaned it up. He pretty much does that all the time now, its funny, you can have food and he doesnt care but if he sees you eating it, I guess he thinks then its a free for all!!! I have two Senegal Parrots, one talks, one clams up and doesnt say anything, the one that doesnt talk (Steve), I have had for 16 years and the other is 7 and she (Harriet) never shuts up. Pets are great!!!

What pets does everybody else have?

Wayne 

What a cutie !!!!

We have 13 pets.

6 cats, 2 dogs (basset hound & Black lab), 2 fish, 2 horses (Quarter Horse & App.) & an African Grey Parrot and she never shuts up either-lol.