Tinky

My first mirror

Hi all im new to this and only got my cutter last friday and the mirrors really intrested me and i had never give it a thought until visiting this superb site.

Anyway i thought id do a presant for my niece and as i already had a sandblaster heres my first attempt at a mirror.

I thought it came out well but id like to hear your views or any tips.

13022009166.jpg

width=800 height=600http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lyndon.bentley/13022009167.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=600http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lyndon.bentley/13022009168.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=600http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lyndon.bentley/13022009173.jpg[/img]

Yes i used my sandblaster i have for working on cars at a unit i have.

Oh and i forgot to mention i  just used kiln dry sand which is used for sweeping into the cracks in block paving as its quite cheap and i had some lieing about.

That's great. I have a sand blast cabinet also. I would have never thought about using it do stuff like this. I always used it to clean car parts and stuff.

nice job  :thumbsup:;D

BUT!!!!  DON'T USE SAND AGAIN ,THAT STUFF WILL KILL YOU.

REGARDS DUKE

That looks great!

I have been playing around with etching mirrors and glass also and it is a lot of fun.

It looks like you etched the mirror on the front, you can also etch them from the backside to create a different look...just remember to mirror the image before you cut the vinyl or it will be backward. If you etch from the back just leave the vinyl in place once you are done otherwise the mirrored backing may come off when you peel the vinyl.

Have fun...this stuff is addictive!

Thanx for that mcpoor never give it a thought about doing the back side of the mirror.

Gonna have to find something to do now just to give it a try.  :thumbsup:

Hey -- can I ask a couple of questions about your piece?  We're just on the verge of buying the MH-871 and wanted to ask someone who's using the cutter for sandblasting a few questions:

1) was the Betty Boop design clip art or a scanned piece of work?  Did the software that you used automatically draw the lines so you could weed just the line itself?  About how thick were the lines on her body?  (I'm hoping to get lines as small as 0.25 - 0.5 mm)

2) what software did you use?

3) what cutter did you buy?

The betty boo in eps format and the lines where probly about 2 to 3 mm. The bigger you make the  image the thicker the lines will be. The image was probly about 250mm high as the mirror was 45 cm square and the cutter im using is the pcut ct630 with flexisign.

The mirror looks great I have thought about doing some of this glass and mirror etching but was wondering what kind of sand to use I found this sand at tsc could someone let me know if this would be ok to use for doing glass and mirrors.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_49044_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Ive never used the sandblast vinyl before and its quite thick so the setting of the cutter and the weeding took all my time probly about 1 and a half hours to do that the sandblasting took no more then 3 or 4 mins but now ive done it i think i could probly do it a bit quicker next time.