Sign in to follow this  
buddy

Dreamweaver

OK....a CMS stands for content management system.  Think of it like a program on the server that you install that you can log into to build all your webpages, no external software like dreamweaver needed.

The CMS is the framework of the site, then all you do is log into the site, and create the content you want on the pages (why it is called a content management system).

Its difficult to explain....maybe someone else will find the words better than me.  A content management system negates the need for software on your computer to design your pages, it IS your website, and you can log into it via a web interface to change the individual pages.

Learning curve to get them up and running, but once they are running they are great.

I feel your pain. I'm building an ecommerce site for my graphics business in DW. Knowing a bit of html from a building site years ago really helped. Go between the code and design pages to see how your design looks in html and you'll soon get the hang of it.

God Luck,

Dave

WOW...thanks so much all of you for the GREAT information. I know just a hair fraction of HTML (and I mean a hair fraction...like just how to change colors and text of things) that's it! So this CMS sounds great to me to where I can build my pages and whalla. I am not dead set on building in DW, on the contrary, if I can find something easier than I am all over it and it sounds like I can with joomla or whatever else is out there. I have time ("too much time on my hands") that I can get it up and running in a week or so I am sure with proper guidance...from you guys!  ;)

Off to joomla to check it out...argggggggggggg, another program to learn!  :'(  You don't understand....I am by no means computer smart...design smart yes...computer smart NO!

Dazzel

Ok, so...what you are saying is that you build pages on CMS system then export them into DW? I have PS CS4 and Illy CS4 can I build on those and then just export? OK, so I went to a CMS site and don't get it...saw the so-so tutorial, you got a better site to check out for me? And what do you mean you don't create anything from scratch in DW :thumbsup:;D ...I TOTALLY admire ANYONE who knows how to get around programs so easily! CUDOS!

Dazzel

Yeah, sort of. I build my templates in DW by hand in standards-compliant XHTML/CSS and I then import those into my CMS and plug in all the tags that that particular CMS uses to pull content from the database. So, I basically build 1 template, bring it into the CMS, and create all pages off of that template.

The thing with most CMS's is this though......there is only 1 page (or template). The content on that page changes based on the page you are viewing. So, the CMS takes your template and renders the index (home) page. When you click "about" or "services", it doesn't load a completely different page, it just takes that same page and pulls the content for the new page and replaces with the index content with it.

You can then have different templates for different sections of the site if you want to.

If you look at my site at http://www.gearboxgraphics.com, that is just 1 page running the whole thing and the content in the center changes based on which page you navigate to.

Does that make sense?

CMS's are really quite simple once you understand the basics behind it. Trust me, if you ever learn the basics of a good CMS (I use Expression Engine and I have tried most everyone out there!) you will thank yourself every day for the rest of your life!

Check out http://www.train-ee.com/courseware/free-tutorials/category/building-a-small-business-site/ for a pretty awesome EE tutorial that I think will help you understand things a little better.

--Cory

GearBox...what a great site and thanks for all your help and you too Zimmerman.  GB - I hear what you are saying now with much research on this CMS and yes it would be better to do it with CMS I just need to learn the ropes on that and like you say it seems like it would make life a lot easier.  Your site is FANTASTIC and totally what my tastes are in terms of color and style, but I have to be carefull becasue I am also selling to my church family so I think I need to be easier on the eyes (if ya know what I mean) and a lot of what I do is Wall Words so I need to gear it towards a softer touch rather than RACING (although we have a 30acre race track on our property) and a lot of riders go there so I do that as well. I need to find a balance somehow! :- ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!  I feel like I just took a HUGE step back because I have to start at square one :)  OK, so I am going to check out your Expression Engine.  Keep you posted

Dazzel

If you take the time to learn the ropes now, you'll be much better off in the long run. The last thing you want to do is build a site, then learn a CMS and have to build all over again! EE is a really good CMS and by far the best and easiest that I have used. There is also Textpattern, Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, and Movable Type and a few others.

I would suggest that you look over the features of all of them to try and decide on one that fits you best. I have found that learning things from the beginning saves a lot of time and effort later down the road!

--Cory

I went backwards on this thing because I was so excited to get up and running> The first thing I "should" of done was get my web page done THEN get Business cards done THEN get out there and start seelin'. I started backwards.  OH WELL, I learned a lesson...GREAT things are worth waiting for!

Thanks for your input Cory you are a tremendous help and support. BTW...your site brings out "life" in me with all those rich colors and just the word "racing" makes me want to RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Dazzel