JoeCamaro

4 Color decals: How to? & Quote help!

Hello

I have been asked to quote some decals for car club. It has 4 colors (black, orange, red and chrome). The attached image is what they want me to do.

lancerqz9.jpg

w510.png

I know how to layer using reg. marks and stuff. The thing is that the red and orange are so separated and so little that using reg marks will make me loose a lot of material. How should I go about doing this? How would you do it? Is there another way to perfectly register this besides using reg. marks on one side of the decal and wasting too much material?

Also, How much should I charge for something like this?

Size is 5" wide x 4.5" tall.

Any help will be appreciated.

Joe

Yeah, I thought about that, but, how am I going to be able to register the red and the orange perfectly? I would have to do this by eye.

Sorry Joe, I have no ideas for you.  I do everything by eye, registration marks never seem to work well for me.

How many are they wanting?

For the red, I would put it on the tips of the triangles. Next to the "E" in Evolution and the "B" in Club. For the Orange I would do somethnin Similar with the "L" and "B". This way it would be 5" x 2.5" instead of the full size.

Looks to be regular vinyl layered but you can print on chrome vinyl and have this effect i'm thinking which would save you from head aches but i personally haven't tried it. I know that you could get the black and chrome pieces printed as 1 decal and then layer the red and orange and be good to go, that would be how i would do it.  :rolleyes:

The price would be semi-high but the decals are a small payment to the guys with $35,000 Evo's  ;);D

OK, here are my thoughts, and to you big timers don't laugh, but this is how I would go about it!  I would cut out the black WITH "POSITIONS for where the red and orange stripes go. Meaning "Punch through" that way you know where they are suppose to go. Maybe make them a tiny bit smaller that way you don't have to worry about seeing the white behind it.

Just my way of micky mousing it  :rolleyes:

Dazzel

Guest fivestar

Depending on qaunity on the price and how I'd do it.  For just a few I'd charge $10.00 each since chrome is so expensive and I'd layer the red and orange by eye without reg marks.  Then use reg marks for chrome and black.

Depending on qaunity on the price and how I'd do it.  For just a few I'd charge $10.00 each since chrome is so expensive and I'd layer the red and orange by eye without reg marks.  Then use reg marks for chrome and black.

Chromes not that expensive, about $50 a roll for Avery but the perceived value is high which is good for us  :rolleyes:;)

Here are my reg suggestions...

1) Eyball, sometimes that is the best way.

2) Cut ALL the DSM logo (diamonds) out entirely in red (even the ones that will be orange) and increase your cutter pressure so you cut into part of the liner, remove the red stripes that need to be orange...Then cut the orange (using regular pressure) and mask it...Match them together using the scores in the red vinyls liner to align the orange...Then mount to the black.

3) Cut out where the orange stripes would go in the black vinyl...Place an orange square BEHIND the black. This would work best if a thin vinyl is used...

Great suggestions FBomb! Thank you. I think I will go with option #2 (they were 3 individual options right?).

I like the idea of cutting everything in the red vinyl and then replace the stripes. Awesome!

I have done that with smaller decals and it worked for me, I wonder why I didnt think of it.

Thank you  FB :rolleyes: and thank all you for all the suggestions made.

No sweat...I am glad I got a chance to help YOU! It's usually the other way around...

Good luck.