Up the street from my house there is an office open in a decent building.  I am thinking about biting the bullet and opening a shop to sell vinyl decals, but mostly etched tiles and the like.  I have been gathering ideas and making some pieces over the last few months and realize that I have no good way to sell most of it.

The space is around 1500sqft for $450 a month, in a pretty decent location with some reasonable traffic. 

I know many of you have shops of different types and experience in this.

Who's got some tips for opening a shop?

Just go for it! LOL!! Make sure you have your paperwork in order, federal tax id and apply for your license ( town, county, whatever apply's) Business name and unless you use your name in it, you have to have a DBA form ( at least here in virginia I had to do that) there are alot of advantages to having a resale licence, one of them being I can buy my clothing and such wholesale! I buy tshirts for under 1.50 each and sell them for 12.00, not a bad thing! LOL. There is nothing better than having the customers come to you :huh:

Renee

Guest fivestar

I say go for it and one thing you may want to consider is doing custom t-shirts if you don't already do them.  There's alot of $$$$ in them.  Don't be afraid to take a chance, most of the time it's great working for yourself.

Thanks for the replies all.  I had a feeling "Just go for it!" would be the number one response, and I have to remind myself of that daily!

I do t-shirt screenprinting as well as custom t-shirts, but I have a pretty small sh*tty press (9x12 Mighty) and would need to upgrade.  Trying to keep my overhead to a minimum, until I know it can pay itself off in a short time.

If you don't mind my asking, What kind of starting capital did you guys have/need? 

Going to look at some spaces right now..

Guest fivestar

Well my capitol was actually very small for this.  I already owned a flower shop with my wife and I use the upstairs of our building for my business so I didn't need a penny to have a storefront.  Actually the flower shop pays all my utilities too. :huh::) :)

I have 2 Refines, a Mighty Press 16x20 and a Hix hat press, plus I stock some t-shirts, sweatshirts and very few hats.  Other then that, that's all the $$$$ I have in it.  Also though I do computer sales and service, that's where I have some $$$$$ tied up, but that's a whole different thread.  :);D ;D Also that's really my passion, I've been doing it for around 15 yrs or so.

Advertise anywere you can.

Our biggest methods for gaining customers is from Three areas

1, Wear your product ( T-shirts,  etc) everywere with your logo on them. You would be supprised at the number of people that ask where you got the shirts.

2, Hand out business cards to everyone you can think of.

3, When you go into some ones business to buy something for yourself, give them a card and ask if they need any thing that you have to offer.

And all of this is relatively free ( print your own cards).

Dave

Any tips on shelving/racking?  I saw some CageWall stuff at t-shirt forums, but it's pretty expensive and I don't really need it to be portable.  I probably need 50/50 shelving to hanging racks.

If all else fails, I can always get some lumber and start building..

Do you have any businesses going out of business in your area? You can usually get shelving/racks/grids pretty reasonable from them. Good Luck

I agree with Tory on that one....we got alot of shelving and apparel racks for a cheap price when other businesses want to get rid of it quick.

thats what I did, I went to a few places in town and asked around and pretty soon i had alot of shelves, clothes hangers and I even got an L shaped counter and boy has that come in handy, thats where all my presses are located.

The first thing I did was find a store front, well actually a few so I would have a choice. After I found one, took me a month to clean it, paint it and get my shelves etc. From there I got my licences in order because you have to have an address and a name. I also researched places on the net to buy WHOLESALE ( tshirts, clothing items) I spent about 350.00 on the clothing items and about 100.00 worth of iron on's. Let me tell you....I had a good laugh when i pulled those iron ons out of the box, they were 3 times the size of my heat press!!!no way was I going to accomplish much with the little geo knight press! so i borrowed the money from my son and got the mighty press 16x20! wow what a difference! I do alot of vinyl on clothing and it got to be too much for my little roland 12 inch cutter and thats what led me here! Get the bigger press you will not regret it! I love having my own store. the BEST advertising is your shirts being worn, all my kids have shirts and hoodies and because of that almost all of the firemen have a hoodie and car decals, the middle school soccer team has hoodies and shirts and the local pizza parlor is ordering shirts as well. I have brochures and biz cards in the store as well as a catalog that is not branded from the wholesale place i go to get my clothing. it has no prices in it so the customer can take it ( i have placed my biz card in sticker form on the catalog) and find what they want and i can price it out for them.

I'm more interested in doing small banners, window stickers, shirts and clothing, hats and now tiles and leaving the big stuff to the guy in the next town...lol!!

Let us know how it all goes for you!

Renee

Well, I went and looked at another place today, around 1K a month for 1925sqft in a better location.  It's also a brand new building vs. a rather rundown building (which it turns out is 1100sqft, not 1500).  Definitely needs signage, which we got covered. :thumbsup:

I would have to provide the flooring for this building, its just concrete now.  Carpet is an option, as is staining/sealing the slab.

I am thinking about filling half the room with rent-a-booths for crafters, as it seems most of those in the area have gone under over the years.  Probably not a great sign, but I know at least two people who have tons of stuff from the last one that went out because the owner gambled his money away.

Calling around tomorrow to the used furniture stores and such to see if they have any racks/shelving.

Thanks all for the comments and keep them coming!

to be honest $450 a month for a shop is nothing lol Around here there's a lady selling this crappy like 15'x6' shed/barn thing for $200 a month right on a main road.

Get it!

Guest fivestar

Just remember there's 3 things to do with real estate.  Location, location, location.

Well, I went and looked at another place today, around 1K a month for 1925sqft in a better location.  It's also a brand new building vs. a rather rundown building (which it turns out is 1100sqft, not 1500).  Definitely needs signage, which we got covered. :thumbsup:

I would have to provide the flooring for this building, its just concrete now.  Carpet is an option, as is staining/sealing the slab.

I am thinking about filling half the room with rent-a-booths for crafters, as it seems most of those in the area have gone under over the years.  Probably not a great sign, but I know at least two people who have tons of stuff from the last one that went out because the owner gambled his money away.

Calling around tomorrow to the used furniture stores and such to see if they have any racks/shelving.

Thanks all for the comments and keep them coming!

I wouldnt have been able to pay 1,000 a month for rent! I have a store front thats approx 800sq ft, a bathroom, an office in the back which has a built in counter overlooking the store and thats where i do all my cutting and stuff. I went to the local car parts store and he had a ton of those metal shelves with peg board backs and i purchased a whole bunch of those and painted them, Because my store has built in shelves all around, i use the peg board to hang alot of my shirts and sweat shirts. I did a 3 month lease with the man that owned the building as i didnt know how this would go. well its been 5 months, since i began renting this building and since then my son has bought it. I have been paying 300.00 a month and will continue to do so. He bought it because it has a huge garage in the back, another store front as well as two apartments upstairs that he is going to gut and turn into one.

I'm not on the main street but the location is a good one with plenty of parking and is right across the street from the rescue squad which holds bingo every friday night as well as other functions. There is also a store/gas station that has heavy business. I'm happy!

It is so fun opening a store, I hope you have as much fun as I did and still do!

Renee

Renee, that is really encouraging.  I hope in the future to have a small store front....nothing huge, but spacious.

I think going in with another small business would be idea....infact we ALMOST did that last year, but since we are moving, decided against it.

I hope you continue to do really well!!

Jenny

thanx Jenny!

We live in a very rural area in a small town so there isnt much compitition at all. I don't know where you are moving to but I think that no matter if you are going to a large city or a small town you will find success as you do awesome work. Where you go will depend on the capital you need but as you already have all the equipment and the knowledge your more than halfway there! When are you moving?

Renee

Thanks for your kind words Renee, we are moving in April.....it's going to be a small town, but that's what we live in now!  :thumbsup:

I hope to be adding more to our product line this year....it's more of extra income then money we live off of, but it sure would be nice one day to make enough off  our little business to get a store front, as we really enjoy doing this line of work. (even though it don't usually feel like work, unless I really waste alot of vinyl or the graphics don't line up right!) lol

Jenny GREAT on the small town, means less rent paid, lower taxes etc. I know what you mean by it not feeling like work, I almost feel guilty sometimes because I dont hate my job!

moving in April is a good time as you will hopefully be getting that big fat refund check from the IRS..LOL!! I live about 1 minute from town so its very convenient for me. There are alot of old store fronts on the main street that are vacant I saw alot of them but i didnt really want to be sandwiched in and have little to no parking, plus they wanted a rediculous amount of rent. I looked at a total of 5 storefronts before getting the one i did and I'm glad i did. Once you move into the town go to the chamber of commerce office they usually have alot of info on business. I joined so that also gave me access to all the other businesses and let them all i know I was here. the town itself has a meeting once a month and thats a great opportunity to let people know what you do as well. There is alot of business in a small town and with the economy the way it is, the local radio stations are telling people to shop locally to support the businesses so they dont go under. I could go on and on, but I will shut up now! LOL!!!

My advice to anyone considering opening a store, DO IT! I wish i would have done it a long time ago, My husband is the one the pushed me to do it actually he had been pushing for a year but I didnt have the confidence in myself to do it until he SHOVED me...LOL!!

Renee

Renee, it's encouraging to hear that you don't regret your decision to go into a storefront. I also live in a small town and think about having a storefront. Then I'm overwhelmed with all the what ifs. What if I don't make enough to cover overhead, what is it like to be tied to a building when you might want a vacation or long weekend. Would I be able to handle the work by myself as I now do. There will probably be a time when I go that route. Just not sure about all the details. $300/m seems great for rent, not sure I could do that round here?? Sometimes that's just what we need is a little push in the right direction, good for you!!

Tory,

you CAN do it! I felt the same way you do, what if, I said that for a year! I had actually taken a small step and was going to rent a "space" in an existing store but that fell through when I discovered alot of the merchandise in the store was junk and the clothing items had mold on them and the people that ran it had ALOT to be desired. My husband said why dont you see if you can rent a place on your own...so one saturday I went around and looked at 5 places to rent and when i walked into the one i am renting now I knew that was it. the man that owned the building was really super nice and said he would work with me and do a 3 month lease and one of those months i burned up because I had to paint and clean and do all my paperwork etc. I'm not originally from here, i'm from Mass. and the resident yankee...lol. We have been here for about 7 years or so and I never really felt like I belonged. that all changed one day though when I took my daughter to meet the teacher day before school started and wow, alot of people were asking me about the store, " I heard you were opening a store" my daughter said man, you know alot of people. I said no I dont know hardly any of these people they just "heard" Got to love a small town!

I do it alone as well but I do get help from my kids when I need it. My kids range in age from 25 down to 11. I'm thinking I will hire a high school kid that has some talent for the summer though. My husband works out of state so I really am doing it alone! He comes home to visit occasionally and he is happy that i have the store to keep me busy.

Ask around town about rent on store fronts ( call some of the people that own some of the buildings), you may be surprised! I hope you take the plunge and I hope Jenny does too once she moves, it doesnt hurt, I promise! LOL!!

Renee

Renee you are too sweet and a great cheerleader too! I can see a time where I may take the plunge, but don't feel this is the right time jus yet, for me. Thank you for the encouragement......and if/when I do I'll be contacting you with "How did you...."  :thumbsup:. I wish you continued success!

I can't imagine sitting in a shop all day waiting for somebody to call or walk in, I prefer to go out and "hunt".

I suppose that's why when I first walk in on my customers they always seem to say "I was just thinking of calling around and getting a quote"... I just say "I think they call this fate".

I also think it's easier for me to add some additional elements to the job when I can actually point out ideas while the ether's still in place.

I also look for work in the immediate areas I have jobs in so I can point out my work...

I guess living in Los Angeles with a sign shop every two miles does have it's disadvantages!?!?!?

RG