Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schramm

Furniture 101 using stencils - Who wants to learn? Challange join in!

Guest Schramm

Ok everybody here knows that I do furniture.  So I am going to give you a lesson, kinda a 101 class on using your plotter to do furniture.  You probably asking yourself, well what do I win.  Well you get to learn how to do decorative finishes on furniture and maybe land some jobs in the process.

What you will need supply wise:

Piece of 1/4 laminate, hardboard or MDF (you can buy this for $4-6 at Home depot) in a 2' x 4' section pre cut

White primer

White paint

Black paint or other color that you like with white.

Mini roller with mini cover (one for each color)

220 grit sanding block

Rubbing Alcohol

Medium tack vinyl cut out designs to lay onto the piece

Here is what I am going to tell you to do right now and I will post more when the first person has this done and posts a pic.

*  Lay the piece on a table and prime the board using the mini roller and let dry 2 hours

*  Then using your sanding block lightly sand it to knock off any pieces, then wipe with a cotton or paper towel with rubbing alcohol on it and let dry for 5 minutes

*  Roll on a coat of the white paint (between the primer being white and the paint being white this should make the piece WHITE) and let that dry overnight.

*  In the am, tack sand it using your block and wipe it down again as above.

*  Using the designs that you cut out that you wanted on the piece, place them the way that you think that they will look nice and then apply them pressing them onto the surface well.

*  Next pull out the roller that has your white paint on it and roll another coat over the top including over the vinyl (why? because you are sealing the edges of the vinyl with paint of the same color as the base color so IF it bleeds you wont be able to tell).

*  Let that dry for at least 4-5 hours and then do your tack sanding and wiping down again.

*  Now it come time for the front color which is black or color of choice.  Roll on 2-3 coats til covered 100% and let the paint dry for 3 hours between each coat, sanding and wiping between each coat.  Let that sit til about 12pm the next day.

*  Now your ready to reveal your masterpiece - On a 90% angle (like you pull off your transfer tape) lightly pull off the vinyl to reveal your design in other color below.  Because you used patients allowing each color to dry between coats and you sanded each coat you should have perfect crisp lines to each of your designs!!!

Once you are to this point, post a pic of what yours looks like.  That is how I do this mirror lettering below (see pic).  Have fun and take your time and you will love the results of your very first attempt, rush and you will want to start over!

Rob

post-0-12986530764409_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298653076487_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986530765593_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986530766066_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986530774751_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986530775073_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986530775426_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986530775765_thumb.jpg