firemalt

Were you born between 1930 & 1979

Dazzel

"I'm leaving, on a Jet Plane, don't know when I'll be back again, oh babe, I hate to go" test - Who is the artist?   ;)

Peter, Paul and Mary... And back then air travel wasn't cheap, so you know she was going FAR away.

1957 here.  Hated when the street lights came on...

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" is a song written by John Denver in 1967 during a layover at an airport in Washington and recorded by the Mitchell Trio that year. The original title of the song was "Oh Babe I Hate To Go" but Denver's then producer, Milt Okun, convinced him to change the title. Denver wrote the song after his flight was delayed. Other artists recorded the song in 1967, including Spanky & Our Gang and Peter, Paul and Mary on Album 1700. It did not become a hit until Peter, Paul and Mary released it as a single in 1969. It turned out to be their biggest (and final) hit, becoming their only #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States The song also spent three weeks atop the easy listening chart.

'66 hear. who can remember cigarette smoking IN grocery stores being ok? i grew up with b/w television with 5 channels to watch. i spent a lot of time outside!

bb

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" is a song written by John Denver in 1967 during a layover at an airport in Washington and recorded by the Mitchell Trio that year. The original title of the song was "Oh Babe I Hate To Go" but Denver's then producer, Milt Okun, convinced him to change the title. Denver wrote the song after his flight was delayed. Other artists recorded the song in 1967, including Spanky & Our Gang and Peter, Paul and Mary on Album 1700. It did not become a hit until Peter, Paul and Mary released it as a single in 1969. It turned out to be their biggest (and final) hit, becoming their only #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States The song also spent three weeks atop the easy listening chart.

Wow I had no idea so many people recorded that song!  Thanks for the info.  I love reading stuff like in my head using the voice of Casey Kasem (yeah, I know)

That song still chokes me up -- listening to that song (John Denver version) the last night before I left for the NAVY in 1975.

The last real night I had with my high school sweetheart.  We broke up while I was stationed overseas - or should I say she left me while I was overseas!

'66 hear. who can remember cigarette smoking IN grocery stores being ok? i grew up with b/w television with 5 channels to watch. i spent a lot of time outside!

bb

oh oh, me me! LOL!!! Hey I can remember buying ciggs out of those machines with the pull knobs on em...lol. They were like 50 cents a pack.....Here in virginia they are going up to almost 5.00 a pack soon and no smoking in public places at all.

I too spent alot of time ouside, anyone remember spin the bottle? LOLOLOL!!

Renee

M&M...Great job on John Denver...I cried many a tears listening to him back then  :'(

Cre8...yea, spin the bottle was BIG in my days...under the announcing tower of our horse arena...(sigh)...Tommy Nelson :angel: hee-hee  And they still have those cig. machines in some places...I have seen them!

"King of the Road"  who sings that?  "ima man by means by no means...king of the roooad"

Dazzel

1955<<<<<here.  King of the Road I love that song and the singer is Roger Miller. I miss those good ole days. I lived in town but the best part of it was my dad would take us teepeeing houses. Now that was fun. Then we would go by the house the next day and see everyone stanging out side just looking at it. Or going to the creek. M&M do you remember the 10 mile bridge when you could go and camp and fish there. Or the monster that was on the island there at Lake Worth. And at 10 everynight the TV would say (Do you know where your Children are). I grew up in Holtom City, TX and it was a small town it felt like it took for ever to get to Keller, TX and now its like watch out for all those stupid drivers on that 6 lane hwy.

Oh how I miss the good ole days.

Wow I was conceived in 1979, does that count  :lol:

I agree though looking at kids these days, sitting around the house playing video games all day. Cracks me up going to stores and watching them walk around with blue tooth headsets, like they are THAT important.  :angel:

I grew up living a simple life. No video games. No cell phones or pagers. Even now, I have a pre-paid cell phone I use only once in a great while.

Hey now, 1981 here and I'm fortunate enough to have done most of the things you guys mention, with the exception of John Denver, which was forbidden in the house... :D

Grew up listening to Jim Croce, Harry Chapin and Elton John.

Street light curfew, heh.  My theory was that it had to be fully on, not just warming up before I had to head home.  Unfortunately, my old man could whistle audibly from 2 blocks away and that meant it was time to go..

I am terrified to think what my little cousins, nieces and nephews are going to be like.  The p*ssification of America has ramped up significantly in recent years, unfortunately.

Just had a little one myself, and I promised myself that I would always remember that society made it before helmets and elbow pads and bottled water, and that my precious little one isn't going to die of humiliation or disappointment.  Like the old saying: "WHY DAD??"

"It builds character."

Builds character LOL! The answer I got was " what doesnt kill you, will only make you stronger" I must be friggin King Kong cuz I'm not dead yet!

Renee

Builds character LOL! The answer I got was " what doesnt kill you, will only make you stronger" I must be friggin King Kong cuz I'm not dead yet!

Renee

if it doesn't make you stronger, it may just kill you.

bb