cohesion

A tool for the brainless...

Wow, this is for people who don't want to mess with software. I think I'll stick with my LP24. This might work for some people, but all of the crap you would have to buy and the fact that you would be kind of limited.. I really don't think it would be worth it. It's kinda a joke if you ask me.

http://www.cricut.com/shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?id=123&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Gotta love late night infomercials:)

Every time I am at the hobby/craft store I see these things and laugh..  They are charging practically the same for a 15"x10' roll as you can buy a 24"x10YD roll of 631 also.

:DYeah, I saw some crazy prices on there. Plus to do anything you have to buy a new cartridge with those designs on it...for like $100... scam.

These guys that did the infomercials could sell glasses to the blind.

I guess if I were a "crafty" person then this would be ideal. I kind of view this like other stuff that seems ideal ... I'll buy something and when I get it home I realize that it has a lot of stuff, but not what I'm looking for. Hahahaha.

I guess I qualify as the brainless! LOLOLOL!!!

I purchased my first cricut 3 yrs ago! Last year I bought the BIGGER one and have cut alot of designs. I have approx 15 cartridges but I did not pay 100.00 for each one! I would buy them on sale at whichever craft store was having a sale. They have a software out now for it so you can do more with it and there is software that cricut does not support which give the crafter the ability to cut true type fonts etc. It is a very limiting machine because it is cartridge based and you have to use thier cutting mats etc. As I became involved in the tshirt world I have not used either of my cricut machines, I have been using a roland sticka 12 and am waiting on my pcut to get here!

The cricuts were purchased because I am a crafty person, I was doing alot of scrapbooking and card making, even party favors etc so these machines were AWESOME as far as I was concerned because I had no idea what a pcut was or a roland etc etc.

The cricut can cut many materials, paper of various thicknesses and types, rubber for making stamps, it can even emboss now so it really is a great machine for home crafter. Vinyl is just the tip of the iceburg as far as the cricut goes, I'm not so sure I would try and cut some of the materials on my new pcut or the roland that I have cut with my cricut!

Renee.....brainless in Virginia LMAO!!!

Renee... it looks like a great product for scrapping, but I don't see where this could be a profitable machine for vinyl decals in mass quanities.

I think it is kind of like the Mac was when it came out. It is great for someone who does not want to learn the computing side of things. Just push a button and it works. I think they are a great machine for what they were designed for, the home craft person.

thats exactly right Firemalt! that is why i have not used the cricut since getting the roland and ordering the pcut...lol! Definetly not a good machine for anything other than scrapbooking/papercrafts.

I have no time to anything else, when I'm not making shirts or cutting, I'm on here...lol, Not enough hours in the day! If and when im able to find the time/ desire to scrapbook again i will use my cricut but you can bet i will not buy anymore cartridges most escpecially the vinyl they sell for a rediculous price!

Renee

Renee,

I didn't mean it as an insult, the thing looks cool, but like other people said, it's pretty limited and if you have the know-how you can do a wider range of things on a cutter (for less $). It does look like it's great for scrapping, and those picture frames I saw them make looked pretty neat. But like someone else said, it wouldn't be cost effective if you want to do a job for someone, if you even could.

Hey cohesion!

Trust me, I wasnt insulted at all, and i did not take it that way! I was laughing at the post! It is a good brainless machine as it comes but with a little knowledge you can actually use inkscape and another program to do other cuts. Not meant to be a business machine at all. For the home crafter it is perfect as well as pricey! I have to say that this industry is one of the best kept secrets because I had no idea it even existed! I stumbled into it when I purchased a tshirt in a box biz.....and but wow, that was a joke initself but all is not lost because it led me here!! I had alot of growing pains to my wallet to get thru and will go thru alot more I am sure! I just took the long way! It really all began with the cricut, my stepping stone so to speak!

With all that being said.....anyone wanna buy a cricut or two??? hows about an itty bitty geoknight press with worthless software??? LMAO!! J/K

Renee

I almost bought a cricut before my husband did some research on my MH721 and I am so glad he did cause I am happy with my decission to buy a bigger machine.  ALTHOUGH, a cricut does do a lot for someone who is just like you say Cre8 doing hobby stuff.  AND NOW...we have competition with the younger generation (6-12 years) I saw a commercial for children on glitter vinyl cut outs. IT's on the Disney Chanel.  They actually weed the vinyl from the clip art template that comes with the stuff, I will try and watch for it again. I was amazed at this because they are starting to gear it towards the youth....COMPETITION IS HEADING OUR WAY!!!!  :'(

Dazzel

Well I'm happy you ended up here, and ended up knowing what you want to do and how to do it. I can see circut being a great hobby tool :huh:.

The cricut is why I bought my cutter also. I watched the info and somehow ended up on the tshirt forum and people there told me about the commercial cutters. Easy decision to make when I found I could spend the same, or less and get a much better machine.Sandy

Seeing the cricut informercial got me thinking about cutting vinyl for my race cars and trailers. After searching on e-bay and finding this forum ..... us cutter was the only answer (uscutter benefits from cricut advertising).......  A year later I am trying to figure what lead me down the road to buying a  4x2 screen press and two heat presses  :thumbsup:  This is evidence of what can happen when a hobby goes totally unchecked !     ;)

note : still have not cut  anything for my race stuff (too busy with work for everybody else )

I have the cricut expression that was bought for scrapbooking.  Then people on the cricut forum started making neat things with vinyl.  That lead me to looking for sources for cheaper vinyl over the cricut vinyl, and here I am!  I think the machine has a place for the average hobby scrapbooker.  My husband owns a custom sheet metal shop and now my brain is thinking about taking a corner and selling a few tiles, word art, etc.  Maybe the contractors that come in might need a quick gift for the wife?  Gee I talk too much for a newbie!

Welcome Linda1....you've come to the right place!

Nah, you aren't talking to much, you just are getting your game plan together to make some $!!  :angel:

Welcome Linda :angel:,

I agree with Jenny, your not talking to much, just read some of my posts...lol Welcome to the cutter world, like you the cricut led me here...lol. whats your screen name on the cricut board? I've been a member over there for about 2 years I guess, havent been there much though lately for various reasons but mainly because I havent done much with my expressions for awhile...lol.

Renee

I have the cricut expression that was bought for scrapbooking.  Then people on the cricut forum started making neat things with vinyl.  That lead me to looking for sources for cheaper vinyl over the cricut vinyl, and here I am!  I think the machine has a place for the average hobby scrapbooker.  My husband owns a custom sheet metal shop and now my brain is thinking about taking a corner and selling a few tiles, word art, etc.  Maybe the contractors that come in might need a quick gift for the wife?  Gee I talk too much for a newbie!

not talking too much until you have over 2k posts!! you're just brain storming! you're seeing dollar signs flash in front of your eyes.

btw... welcome to the site.