pungohboy

Etched glass (not the vinyl)

Ok so I picked up some cheap stuff to get started into etching glass to see if it would be worth offering it (thanks midwaste for the info on what to get) Anyway I am getting a ton of people interested. For those of you who do etching how do you come up with prices? I have a restaurant that wants like 50 glasses done they provide the glasses but I have no clue how to price it. There is going to be alot of time put into that one and dont want to quote too high or to low. Any ideas? 

I really am not sure how much to charge either.

These are the factors to consider in etching:

1:  Cost Glass (supplied by customer)

2:  Cost of vinyl template (vinyl, cut, app-tape, etc.)

3:  Cost of etching media (chemical or sand/etc.)

4:  Misc. clean-up supplies (it is messy)

5:  Time / labor (you)

My example:

1:  N/A (supplied by customer)

2:  $2.00 or less per glass (depends on design, weeding, size, etc)

3:  $1.00 per glass (chemical

I was figuring for them around $5 each but I think it will take way more than an hour to do the applying and masking the rest of the glass as well as the amount of time it takes to etch each glass. But thats about what I was figuring for a ballpark price. Thanks for your input. Im using sand blasting to do my etching so I can recycle my media but I loose some since I am blasting into a cardboard box but am able to recover most of it so thats one nice thing to figure into the calculation. Although if I get this job I will probly go over my friends dads house to use his cabinet setup.

Using one of these guns from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93221 I wanted to get into it cheap to make sure it was something I wanted to do before investing in a bigger setup. This just needs a small compressor Im using a 17 gallon and it is working great. A blast cabinet setup would be alot better than doing it the way I am though if you can afford it. The sand dont feel good hitting you back on exposed skin lol.

hahaha, ok thanks so you use the vinyl negative I am guessing right? I think Ill try it and pick one up on the weekend, what kind of sand did you buy and did you but it from there?

thanks

Wayne

Yea I weed out the part that would usually be the sticker (that gets confusing at times) I bought 70 grit aluminum oxide from there it was like $20 for 20 pounds dont forget some safety gear I opted for the $0.99 goggles and a $20 respirator, but I think I need something different the goggles are worth all of $0.99 but not a penny more lol and the respriator does not say it is good for sand blasting. But until i can figure out exactly what I need it will work.  oh yea  add the items you are planning on getting to a cart online and print your cart. prices in the store may be more $ and they will take the $ off if you have printed proof. They wanted $20 for the gun it was online for $12 so it was good i printed a cart for a shopping list.

Awesome i stopped by and picked up that same list this morning, cant wait to try it!!

thanks for the info

Wayne

im working on a blasting cabinet.  I have an old plastic utility sink, a pipe from the drain to a bucket for material return, and lexan on top with rubber gloves through the side!  i think it would work well!

ahahha I love it, I was seriously looking at the blast cabinets today at the Franklin Mills Harbor Freight. Very tempting!!!!

Wayne

arent they like $100?  plus you need a table or stand!  If you make one out of a Poly Utility Sink, you have a drain for the blasting material for reuse and it has legs already!

yeah they were $120, I like your idea, but I have a levittown house with no room for luxuries like a utility sink :thumbsup:

im working on a blasting cabinet.  I have an old plastic utility sink, a pipe from the drain to a bucket for material return, and lexan on top with rubber gloves through the side!  i think it would work well!

post some pics of that when you get finished it sounds like a great idea.

right now its part way completed...  Kinda ran outta cash flow because of the new truck...  but ill soon have it complete!

I'm happy to see that some of you are getting into glass etching. Now I don't feel alone. I started about 3 years ago and set up my equipment from scratch. Check out my site at www.myspace.com/frostedimages. I'm always update my projects and please feel free to ask any questions or suggestions. Keep it going!

Very Nice stuff there...  I just wanted to have etching for my restaurant customers who want their company logo in their glasses!

Nice work Sandstorm!!! I'm going to start playing around today with sandblasting. Any tips or suggestions?

Are you siphon blasting or using a pressure pot? Assuming that you are pressure blasting, adjusted pressure to 30 psi. This way you have enough pick up pressure and your absolute pressure is about 20 psi. If you're using less than 20 mil sandmask material...25 psi is good for frosting. Light on the trigger though. That's the key, trigger control. Let me know how you come out.

Awesome work Sandstorm!! maby one day I can afford some good equipment, still probably couldnt do that fading stuff though. Im still having a hard time figuring an easy way to wrap vinyl around the glass without messing it up and keeping it even. 

Awesome work Sandstorm!! maby one day I can afford some good equipment, still probably couldnt do that fading stuff though. Im still having a hard time figuring an easy way to wrap vinyl around the glass without messing it up and keeping it even. 

When you figure it out let me know!!!!  :D I'm about to try another glass with a lot of elementsw in the design. I'm going to leave kust enough vinyl around each detail to aplly it then come back with scraps to fill in the areas i dont want etched.

One way to do this is to measure the amount of curve created by the glass.  Draw a straight line on a scrap piece of vinyl a certain length long.  Wrap the piece of vinyl around your glass and measure the amount of curve the angle of the glass creates.  Then just adjust your graphic the opposite direction using a curved envelope distort in Illy.  I imagine there is something similar in SBE and whatever else you may use.

I use cheap transfer tape to cover the rest of the glass.

Can the more experienced blasters tell us what is better, pressure fed or siphon?  I was planning on using siphon fed, just for the ease of using a booth.  However, reading some of the posts at the Cutting edge forum, it sounds like most people are using a pressure pot, which will significantly increase the cost, while decreasing the load on your compressor.

Pressure pots are more efficient than siphon. However, I suggest a foot pedal control with the pressure pots. If you are just starting, I suggest a cabinet with siphon and a decent regulator. Look at Harbor Freight Tools online or store. You could check TP Tools.com too. If you're not blasting big stuff, a blasting cabinet is just find. I even deep carve with my siphon blasting cabinet using 40 to 50 psi. My compressor comes from Harbor Freight Tools...5hp, 25.4 cfms @ 40 psi and 18.5 cfms @ 90 psi. This is very important...cubic feet per minutes...at least 12 to 14 cfms! Use Aluminum Oxide if possible, I use Garnet. It is clean and practically dustless. Also use a good ventilation system on the cabinet. A mini saw table vacuum will work around 100 to 150 dollars. Upgrade when your projects start making you money. This is the best way to cut corners or you will be out of tens of thousands of dollars. Always wear respirator. Don't cut corners here...go to Grainger Tools. Spend between 25 to 180 dollars, these are your lungs! Keep it blasting!