Sign in to follow this  
MitchR

Business Info

I read in a forum where people were discusing how to obtain a business license without leaving your home and cant remember which forum it was. Could someone please tell me how this is handled and what all is involved?

I copy this from different forum.

I hope you can find it useful.

DBA is an abbreviation for "doing business as." It is also known as a Ficticious Business Name. Registering a DBA is required if you plan to operate your business under a name that differs from your company's legal name (which is your own name if you have a Sole Proprietorship). With a DBA you can legally open a bank account and conduct other transactions using your trade name.

How do I go about getting a Fictitious Business Name (DBA)?

In some U.S. states you register your assumed name with the Secretary of State or other state agency, but in most states, registration is handled at the county level, and each county may have different forms and fees for registering a name. Generally speaking, the process is fairly simple: you perform a search through their database to make sure the name is not already in use, then submit a simple form, along with the correct filing fee (anywhere from $10 to $50). Some states also require that you publish a notice in your local newspaper and submit an affidavit to show that you have fulfilled the publication requirement. Call your county clerk's office to find out the local fees and procedures in your area.

Are there available services to help me complete the Fictitious Business Name (DBA) process?

Yes. There are many services out there that will complete all of the necessary filings and publication for you, based on the requirements for your area. An example company that offers this service is LegalZoom.com. It will be more affordable for you to do the process yourself, but using a service may simplify the process for you.