Sign in to follow this  
NelsonDiesel

cutting lines through artwork

I am doing some vinyl cutting using signblazer. I cut a 44" long sticker and now i'm trying to do another 44" long sticker and to save vinyl i stacked 2 in the cutting area. When i go to cut is cutting from the lower left corner and cutting lines across the decal rendering it useless....

Hopefully this is just a setting issue...

thanks for any help

Also, how do i keep it from cutting out a square around the artwork? When i go to cut it makes a cut all the way around where it will be cutting.

Thanks

alright i got the weeding part done !!!

still need to figure out the cutting through my artwork. It only does it when i stack to save on wasted vinyl.

I was able to get through it this time by cutting one line. then moving the blade to the middle of the vinyl and starting the next line. It did not cut through. I would like to be able to do both lines with one click of the mouse but whatever works...

If you search on "line of death" or "slashing" you should find a few posts about that issue.

Help us help you... What cutter model? USB or Serial? Operating system?

If you have your cutter setup with a USB connection, make sure that it's a direct connection and not going through an extension or a hub. If you possibly can, hook up your cutter with a serial cable, that will usually get rid of that problem and a few issues that other members have come across. If you don't have a serial port on your computer, you can purchase a keyspan (Serial to USB). That can be purchased from US Cutter, Radio Shack or dirty cheap from eBay.

Start off with that and see how you do. Keep us posted.  :)

thanks for the reply !

USB connected directly to the comp. pcut ctn630, op system is vista ultimate 64.

gonna definatly look into that serial to usb cable if it will help at all.

as of now just cutting some small stickers.... i will keep you posted on my findings later on. I will search for those keywords as well.

Thank you !

You computer is powerful enough. If there's anything that will give you some issues, it'll be Vista. Ken (Imes) doesn't think highly of it.  :)

Definitely look into the serial or keyspan. Believe it or not, but there are a lot of small issues here and there that ca be remedied by just changing to serial. I do consider slashing a big issue though.  ;D

If you have any additional issues, you can also post them in the Pcut bulletin board. You might get a faster response, and chances are you'll get a response from a Pcut owner.

Good luck and keep us posted!  :)

If this problem is only occurring when you do large cuts I would put my money on the usb. I would pickup a Keyspan usb to serial adapter, it will probably fix this.

I had this "slashing" "line of death" problem. I think I found the solution.

I do all my design and cutting on my laptop. At first I was using the USB port to communicate with the plotter. I had no choice because my laptop didn't have a serial port. I soon found that the software would occasionally lock up in the cut screen and would have to occasionally re-boot the machine and start all over again. :)

I couldn't use a Keyspan USB/serial adapter because I couldn't find one that supported Vista. I found a USB/serial adapter on USBgear.com for $20 that is compatible with VISTA. This instantly solved the communication problems, but found it caused another one.... slashing of the vinyl that I was cutting.

I soon realized that the slashing problem only occured when I was running the laptop off the battery.  ;D When the laptop was being powered by the AC charger, slashing didn't occur. There seems to be some sort of voltage level issue on the USB port when operating on battery power. For those who are using their cutter with a desktop comp, I would see what else is being powered by the USB ports on the computer.

Just my $0.02  ;D

I do all my design and cutting on my laptop. At first I was using the USB port to communicate with the plotter. I had no choice because my laptop didn't have a serial port. I soon found that the software would occasionally lock up in the cut screen and would have to occasionally re-boot the machine and start all over again. :)

I couldn't use a Keyspan USB/serial adapter because I couldn't find one that supported Vista. I found a USB/serial adapter on USBgear.com for $20 that is compatible with VISTA. This instantly solved the communication problems, but found it caused another one.... slashing of the vinyl that I was cutting.

I soon realized that the slashing problem only occured when I was running the laptop off the battery.  ;D When the laptop was being powered by the AC charger, slashing didn't occur. There seems to be some sort of voltage level issue on the USB port when operating on battery power. For those who are using their cutter with a desktop comp, I would see what else is being powered by the USB ports on the computer.

Just my $0.02  ;D

Awesome info. Thanks Louie! That tidbit of info will go a long  way for some.

I do all my design and cutting on my laptop. At first I was using the USB port to communicate with the plotter. I had no choice because my laptop didn't have a serial port. I soon found that the software would occasionally lock up in the cut screen and would have to occasionally re-boot the machine and start all over again. ;D

I soon realized that the slashing problem only occured when I was running the laptop off the battery.  :) When the laptop was being powered by the AC charger, slashing didn't occur. There seems to be some sort of voltage level issue on the USB port when operating on battery power. For those who are using their cutter with a desktop comp, I would see what else is being powered by the USB ports on the computer.

Just my $0.02  :)

Well done. I think you are onto something. I am not sure but it makes sense that the laptop would be giving the usb ports less power when in energy save mode. I guess this is messing with the data some how. Thanks for the info man.