Sign in to follow this  
staybeautiful

just got the new copam....can't get it to cut?

details: windows xp pro, signcut x2, signblazer, usb to usb.

hey all, just got my new cp-2500 set up and ready to go. everything seems fine with the cutter, but i get nothing in signcut. i saw the thread about it not working properly on the new usb to usb machines. (great, after paying for signcut)...nonetheless, i want to use it now so i went ahead and installed signblazer, which has got to be the most 1994 software i've seen since...1994 haha.

anyway...i'm set up usb to usb, and i did download and install the drivers for the cutter. everything seems to be great in that arena, and it's showing COM3 as COM3 USB Serial Port. i figured that's what it should be.

tried to get that going in signcut, to no avail. so i did the signblazer thing as stated above, as i saw this was working for people in the other thread. it's also showing the COM3 in there, yet when i send a file, it sends for a while but i get no action from the cutter.

i'm wondering if i have done something wrong in the setup as i'm not getting any action in either program. drivers say they're installed properly though (the ones ken linked to for the chipset yada yada).

any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm sitting here with my new cp-2500 and hotronix and would like to get a move on.

thanks all,

-sb

Just a question - from your post, you want to cut using usb.  Have you tried to cut with a serial cable to take the usb out of the equation?  I have a Copam and everything works great with a serial cable.

yeah after i posted we decided that we'll go get a serial cable in the morning. just to jump ahead since i know i'll have these questions...

1) when you use the serial, are there any drivers to install? if so, can you tell me which ones?

2) are there any settings i should watch out for in the serial port (in device manager) or in signcut itself?

and

3) anything else you could give me a heads up on, i'd appreciate.

i figure since the usb thing is still iffy with a lack of updates, you'd be correct that it's just better to go serial. thanks!

Did you install the USB drivers that should of came on a mini cd with your cutter?

I had trouble with USB untill I installed those, and have'nt had a problem since.

Dave

Did you install the USB drivers that should of came on a mini cd with your cutter?

I had trouble with USB untill I installed those, and have'nt had a problem since.

Dave

it did not come with a mini cd & drivers. i assume this is because the new units have direct usb ports, for which us cutter still has not updated any instructions. all the instructions that came with it pointed to the older units that only had serial ports and needed serial to usb conversion drivers.

the only cd it came with was the signblazer one, nothing else. i was looking for one because it said it should be with the unit, but it wasn't there. i don't need serial to usb, though.

the usb to usb drivers were linked by ken on another page, those are what i used and they installed properly.

going to get a straight serial to serial cable today.

when you plug it in with serial, there are no drivers needed other than the cutter drivers in the software. It is plug and play. It should be 'com1' in the settings unless you already have something on com.1.

when you plug it in with serial, there are no drivers needed other than the cutter drivers in the software. It is plug and play. It should be 'com1' in the settings unless you already have something on com.1.

thanks john. i just picked up a serial cable (and a serial to usb...just in case!). i'm going to mess around with it tonight and hopefully get it crackin'. i'm dying to use this!

well, so much for that. i can't get anything working. i get all of the same blankness with the serial as i did with direct usb-usb.

if there's anyone out there that can run me through a straight serial-to-serial setup as well as the software settings for signcutx2, i'd greatly appreciate it. i have not received any answer from my support ticket and i need to get up and running, and haven't found similar answers/info on the forum.

i emailed ken just now, but that's all i've got.

thanks.

well, so much for that. i can't get anything working. i get all of the same blankness with the serial as i did with direct usb-usb.

if there's anyone out there that can run me through a straight serial-to-serial setup as well as the software settings for signcutx2, i'd greatly appreciate it. i have not received any answer from my support ticket and i need to get up and running, and haven't found similar answers/info on the forum.

i emailed ken just now, but that's all i've got.

thanks.

PM me your phone number.I'll pass it along to Ken or levi in the mornng.They got a ftiend of mine up and running who was as computer/cutter dumb as they come.

haha okay, just pm'd you the number. i'm definitely not computer dumb (very nerdy and proud of it), i just don't see where the issues are.

not to mention that the instructions included couldn't have been any worse.

thanks!

haha okay, just pm'd you the number. i'm definitely not computer dumb (very nerdy and proud of it), i just don't see where the issues are.

not to mention that the instructions included couldn't have been any worse.

thanks!

you got instructions?

I just ignore those...what Levi does (I think) is log onto your computer remotely and do it for you. Take it from me, every setting has to be right. One wrong setting and it won't work. And sometimes, it's not that obvious which one is wrong.

you got instructions?

hahahah. well, something like that. i guess you could call them instructions. everything was for serial-to-usb, which is the last thing i want to be doing and didn't come with that cable anyway. it came with a usb-to-usb cable, but that doesn't really mean anything considering there's 0 support for it to run in signcut. i bought the serial-to-serial cable today (didn't come with one), and got the same - see nil - result.

i'm down to go through the settings, not so down with remote access. either way, i have to get this thing working monday or i'm going to lose my mind.

thanks again.

Look in the software for SB and see what usb port your on.  You might need to try 3 first and even try one because if it is shared it will push you over to one like mine did once.

Look in the software for SB and see what usb port your on.  You might need to try 3 first and even try one because if it is shared it will push you over to one like mine did once.

yeah i feel you, thanks. when i tried usb-to-usb, the ports were proper after i installed the drivers that ken posted a while ago. everything matched up, i'm sure i had some settings confused somewhere though.

on the good side, i'm using a computer dedicated to it so the only other thing i have running is my wifi connection.

well thanks to john and cybersultan, i got this working, on usb-usb no less! seems to be a port issue on my other laptop. it worked right away in signcut x2 when i brought a different computer in here. both are xp pro though, and dells, which is weird to me. i'm going to run some updates on the original machine i wanted to use and see if i can get it working.

you guys rule, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great! All I did was pass on a phone number.

and possess a myriad of patience for a zillion pm's.

lol well, patience is about all I have left that still works as well as it always has.

A-HA!

not the swedish band from the 80's with the cartoon sketch style video...more like science lab i figured something out exclamation.

after we got my office/work computer working, i realized that the old, dedicated laptop i had for the cutter probably did NOT have usb 2. today i went and bought a pcmcia card with usb 2 ports. and yeah, it worked right away.

so that said, another mission accomplished. thanks again, guys.

Great! It's usually always something simple that never pops right into mind.

A-HA!

not the swedish band from the 80's with the cartoon sketch style video...more like science lab i figured something out exclamation.

after we got my office/work computer working, i realized that the old, dedicated laptop i had for the cutter probably did NOT have usb 2. today i went and bought a pcmcia card with usb 2 ports. and yeah, it worked right away.

so that said, another mission accomplished. thanks again, guys.

as in " Take on Me " ?  ;D