Sign in to follow this  
n7kon

removing vinyl

Hi all

To start off  want to wish all a happy holidays.

I just removed some vinyl from a sweatshirt and was wondering if any one has done this before and if so is there something out there that will break the glue down and wash it out.

This customer came to me because the place that did the sweatshirts for them spelled the name wrong and would not do anything for them. The sweatshirt was a close out item (they were not told that) so no more can be ordered. They want to have the same thing as rest of team.

They are ok with me not getting the glue out because most of it will be covered anyways. But I am not happy with not getting it out if there is a way to do it.

Any help would be great thanks ahead of time

Keith H

Happy Holidays to you as well, thx.

There is a chemical which will remove vinyl, methylene chloride. You apply from the backside, wait a few minutes and it will lift the vinyl and adhesive. For me, on a hockey jersey, it took a few app but finally came out with no residue at all. It may have taken more applications since they tried something else prior to bringing it to me??? You should wear a mask as it's known to cause cancer. It wasn't easy to find although Stahl's sells it for like $70/gallon. I found it at a plastics supplier for $25/QT. Just be patient and let it do the work and you should have no problems. I was told it will dissipate and you won't even have to wash it after removing. Sure enough that was my experience as well. Good Luck

Thanks for the info. I will check it out, I have already taken the vinyl off so more than likely won't work for this go around but always good to know. Never know when I will make an ooopsssy and need to fix it.

again thanks

Keith H

Keith, you may want to give it a try. When I received the jerseys they had already removed the vinyl but left the residue. They also had washed the garment trying to remove the adhesive. So I applied the chemical with a paintbrush, it took a few apps to completely remove but looked like new after.

N7 , How did you get the vinyl off ? I have alot of stuff i ruined before getting the pressure adjusted right . Would be nice to be able to use them . Thanks , Rodger

Ok Thanks Tory I will try it out.

Roger Sorry it took so long to get back to answer your question. I used two ways the second worked the best. First was putting the section I wanted to take off back in heat press and then got corner up and started pulling it off. That work so so because by the time I got it started the rest was starting to cool off and ended up breaking it off and had to start over.

Second I got out my heat gun I use on my RC models to shrink the film over the wings. It has 3 settings for heat. I could keep heat to it while I pulled the vinyl off worked very well.

Hope this Helps

KeithH

Thanks , i'll give that a try . Not much $ , but feels good not to waste .