mac7290

Drop down menus do not disapear.

i d/l inkscape the newest one i think .46 or 4.6. when i go to any menu that comes up on the screen i will not disappear. so i can't even see the screen to do anything. i've tried reinstalling and d/l a few times but it still does it. anyone know a fix to this? or have an older version since the website just has the newest version. thanks in advance.

Hey guess what??

I have exactly the same problem. I noticed nobody replied to this thread so I don't know if this problem was ever solved.

Any ideas??

What I would try first is one of the nightly builds....the windows versions can be downloaded here.  http://inkscape.modevia.com/win32/?M=D  I don't think they are an installer, just a package you unzip, you can then go to your program files and replace all the old files with the new ones in the inkscape folder.

Nightly builds are compiled each night, and contain lots of bug fixes the latest stable version does not have, for that matter I suggest anyone who uses inkscape alot to try the nightly builds, they have been much more stable for me than the regular builds.

I had sorta the same problem, the font dropdown would not go away, and it was all crazy, nightly build fixed the problem.

If this doesn't help you may need to post a bug for the community, be extremely specific about your system and such, and be prepared for them to ask you to try to debug things. 

Hope this helps

Oooh, almost forgot.  The nightly builds are compressed in 7z format....which requires 7zip program to decompress.  You can download 7zip for free, its open source and a great program, so I would go ahead and do that.

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

there is the link to the download page

good luck

Thanks! I'll give it a go. 

The only other solution I have found to clear the drop downs is to minimise the window, then maximise it again.

Extremely painful when you think of the amount of times you access a drop down menu in the course of working on something

Thanks! I'll give it a go. 

The only other solution I have found to clear the drop downs is to minimise the window, then maximise it again.

Extremely painful when you think of the amount of times you access a drop down menu in the course of working on something

Your only other option is to learn the shortcuts, almost everything in inkscape has keystroke shortcuts.....they are much faster if you get use to using them.

Hey that will challenge the old brain cells!!  If you see a puff of smoke on the horizon you'll know it's me, trying to remember what the heck I should be pressing next.  wish me luck!!

Jules

You just have to flex your nerd muscles....everyone has them but some peoples are in better shape than others.

my text dropdown does that. i think it may have something to do with have thousands of fonts installed. def gotta get rid of some of those