SIGNMAN

APPLYING TAPE

hi whatsthe best way to apply application tape to signs that are about 24" x 12" , when youre on your own, i always seem to mess up by getting bubbles and creases,

does a tape roller/dispenser help much

thanks

When I first started, what I used to do was unroll a length of app tape on the dinner table, with the adhesive facing upward. Then just lay the vinyl(facing downward) onto the app tape, and squeegee. Cut the app tape from the roll, and then trim as needed.  :thumbsup:

I don't make alot of signs , but still do it like FireMalt said he did when starting . I get overlaps , bubbles etc  in the app tape , but it doesn't effect the applied decal or effect applying the decal ( as far as I see ) .

I had my father welded a few pieces of scrap metal together to make a nice little app tape holder.

I'll see if I can find the pics.

I like to use my oversized squeege I made out of scrap 1/4 plexi  but a felt edge on it, it has saved my butt a couple times, I think there is a post on the forum about someone who sells a big squeeges.

I stick the end of the roll to the table. Then I unroll enough to slide my design under. While keeping light pressure on the tape I lower it down on the design stretching it outwards at the end towards the roll. Then I lightly smooth it from the middle out with my hands. Finally I use my nylon squeegie. I have done it like this with some up to 8' long and 24" wide on my hardwood floors.

Terry had a method where you stick the end down then roll an empty tube behind it to unroll the app tape while keeping it flat. I have tried it before too with mixed results.

thanks for all your advice

ill try out a couple of different ways and see which suits me best

Here it is...

I've seen something like this sell for over $50!

firemalt, what is with the tape on the edge of your vinyl cutter? Do you have problems with the vinyl going in the crack?

I work by myself most of the time and being a newbie I have botched a few pieces here and there when putting on the app tape (tape coming into contact with delicate areas of the design unexpectedly, then wrinkling the vinyl when I tried to correct.)  I just got one of the new US Cutter App Rollers and I am loving it - it is like a second set of hands.  :thumbsup:  At first I thought this hardware was to expensive, but then considered how much time and material I might save.  The App Roller really has made this part of the process a lot faster and easier for me.  (Your actual mileage may vary.)

CCGraphics... that's exactly it. I didn't have a stand for my pcut, so with having the vinyl roll at the same height as the cutter, it was catching on that groove... never messed up a cut, but I just didn't like it, lol.

I do the way Jay does!  Roll it out just beyond the graphic and put the edge of the app tape on the table and bring the tape down slowly and squeege!

firemalt, I see you have tape on the "catch area" of you cutter too ;D

bulldog...I cut two 2x4's an equal length, cut holes in them at the same height. Then mounted them on a cut piece (4" x 18") of 3/4" plywood...Then I use clamps to mount it to my table when needed.

Fbomb, Are you talking about raising your cutter off the table ? (so the vinyl wont get caught in the bottom slot that we have taped up)

Norm.

No, I am talking about my ghetto DIY tape holder...I plan on constructing a nice one, probably an auto-mounter, but I made this one real quick to hold me over and it works great! Cost me $3...For the 2 dollar store clamps and dowel rod :P The rest was scrap wood.

The hardest part (for most ppl) to source is the black core converter seen in pic 2...I work with massive rolls of pressure sensitive paper (flexo printing) and sometimes the rolls come with these in them to keep them from crushing from the weight of the paper.

*edit* I cannot post pics and files on the site as of late  ;D So I hosted them...

App1.jpg

app2.jpg

*edit* I cannot post pics and files on the site as of late  ;D So I hosted them...

I think the allotted space is filled up again. I will try and get this taken care of.