Sign in to follow this  
SignUp2Day

Serial Adapter Connection Questions

I have an Intel iMac with system 10.5.5.  I purchased the Copam CP-2500.  I am going to use Adobe Illustrator CS2 to design and SignCut X2 to cut.  I read about the communication problems macs have with this particular plotter.  I first tried communicating straight with the USB connection.  No luck. 

I purchased the Keyspan USB to serial adapter and I noticed the adapter for the serial side is a 9 pin male and the plotter has a 9 pin male.  I have a 9 pin serial cable, but it has a male end and female end, which will not work.  A serial cable with female connections at both ends, which is what I need, is labeled a modem cable when I look them up on-line. Can I use this?  Is this what others have used?  Or can I use another adapter to change the male to a female connection to use the current serial cable I have?

Second, I have a cable that will connect from the Keyspan adapter to the parallel port on the plotter, should I or can I use this instead?

Last, the Keyspan specs show that it is 3 ft. in length.  Do I need to be concerned about the length of the serial cable or parallel cable I use?

Length of USB cable should not matter, but you might not want to use extended LPT or Serial cables.

Direct USB connection ont his unit is what I would go with. The older Copams that used Serial to USB were troublesome, but the direct USB should be fine. Just need to download the correct USb drivers for your Mac from: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Thanks for your help Kenimes.

I'm sure you get all types of strange scenarios on the forums.  Here is what is weird.  I downloaded this driver the other day and had no luck getting my computer and SignCut X2 recognizing or locating the plotter as a USB device.  I have read many of the entries in the forums of yours so I assumed you were some type of moderator.  So once you said that I should go with the direct USB connect, I took notice.  I reinstalled the driver and then went to my system preferences and searched for a new printer device and found it (a step I missed the other day).  When I launched SignCut X2 and went to my plotter set-up - low and behold it was there.  I've made several cuts.  Works great!!!!  Easy to figure out without reading the manual too.

Part two:  Because, I had several computer cables lying around trying to get a serial connection, I think I was using the wrong USB cable too.  Out of curiosity, do you know if the USB cable that comes with the Copam 2500 is black in color?  If so, that is what is working.  The other one I have is about a foot longer and it is the standard computer grey color and it has one of those cylinders in the line.  Using this one, I can make one cut then I have to relaunch the software again to gain a connection to the plotter.

Anyway, all is solved and working like it should.  Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your help Kenimes.

I'm sure you get all types of strange scenarios on the forums.  Here is what is weird.  I downloaded this driver the other day and had no luck getting my computer and SignCut X2 recognizing or locating the plotter as a USB device.  I have read many of the entries in the forums of yours so I assumed you were some type of moderator.  So once you said that I should go with the direct USB connect, I took notice.  I reinstalled the driver and then went to my system preferences and searched for a new printer device and found it (a step I missed the other day).  When I launched SignCut X2 and went to my plotter set-up - low and behold it was there.  I've made several cuts.  Works great!!!!  Easy to figure out without reading the manual too.

Part two:  Because, I had several computer cables lying around trying to get a serial connection, I think I was using the wrong USB cable too.  Out of curiosity, do you know if the USB cable that comes with the Copam 2500 is black in color?  If so, that is what is working.  The other one I have is about a foot longer and it is the standard computer grey color and it has one of those cylinders in the line.  Using this one, I can make one cut then I have to relaunch the software again to gain a connection to the plotter.

Anyway, all is solved and working like it should.  Thanks again.

Thanks again.

I honestly do not remember off the top of my head the color of the included USB cable....but if you have one that is working better than the other, well- you know.

:huh: