jaknott

Layering text in inkscape help please

Hello,

I have had my refine cutter for about 3 weeks now and I am becoming comfortable with it.  What I am not becoming comfortable with is inkscape and attempting to layer text.  I followed Taters youtube tutorial to a tee to no avail.  When I select the top text and go to path and outset to make the one text "fat", nothing happens and a message below says "no path to outset/inset".  Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the heck is going on?  I have tried re-downloading the entire program figuring it was a bug because I have watched this process work for Tater on the video.  None of this works and I am to the end of my proverbial rope.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Well Jason, (All the greatest, like you and me, have that name, lol).. I really dont know......

Lets take a look at the file, Save what you got so far in SVG format so that I can open it in inkscape over here and I can take a look at it to see possibly why its not working...

Click reply, additional options, attach file...

Tater,

I think I may be on to something.  I have been trying everything and I noticed that when I clicked and then just started typing text really small, rather than creating a box, that I was able to get the outset to work.  It will only work with the lower text and not the one at the top as when I combine them, the upper one covers up the lower one?? I am a middle school teacher and plan on using this program with my students, so I am trying to learn this as fast as I can over the summer. 

Btw, I use signcut x2.  When I try to cut these in layers(I am using heat transfer vinyl as we are going to make t shirts) it doesn't do any good to make registration marks, does it?  I figured that since I would have to apply the first layer, peel, and then apply the second layer.  Am I making any sense?

Thanks,

Jason

Yeah, with heat transfer material you pretty much have to eye ball it, if you apply the registration marks to your shirt, you wont be able to get them off...

Thats sort of odd how you said that it only works with upper case letters...

There are alot easier programs out there then inkscape and signcut.

Ken announced a new program called SignBlazerElements.  Looks very very very easy to use compared to inkscape and signcut...  Something you might want to look into.