Fbomb

projected sign???

So a friend of mine cannot put up a sign for his business...We were toying with the idea of cutting out an image and placing it on a spot light (like those holiday spotlights) and projecting it...

Anyone have any experience, ideas, thoughts about this???

Thanks...

In suggest he move to where he can put up a sign. A business without a sign won't last long. Is it a law or just a landlord with an attitude?

Guest fivestar

A business without a sign is a sign of no business.  ;) ;) ;D I agree with John, tell him to move.

Well, they are a tattoo shop...They have an A-frame sign out front and recently moved into this building...Their reputation in this town and skilled artists would keep them in business even if they worked out of someones garage  ;)

This idea is cool, I just want to know how they do it... Like these guys http://www.holidayprojector.com/index.htm!

Print a sign out and take a picture of it with 35mm slide film (if you can find any).

Print a sign out and take a picture of it with 35mm slide film (if you can find any).

I was thinking more of cutting the image and putting the vinyl on the glass lens...Just not sure if the vinyl would melt?

I do have a digital film processor for flexo plates/screens...Maybe I'll just go with that.

I used to work at aplace that built nightclub lighting. These projectors can reach high temperatures. The vinyl can get extreamly hot if it is not protected from the heat.

here's an idea...cut your image,apply to a bit of glass , use stove paint to paint the entire thing, remove vinyl after the paint dries,leaving the message clear. Ore the other way-round. Stove paint can withstand very high temps.

I've done this at our haunted house. You need to make a slide. if you put the vinyl on the lens it will melt.

Thanks guys! I will try using B&W film...Not sure how I'd set it up on the light though. It's kinda a domed lens one...

Maybe if I can't rig something, I'll the glass stain...Thanks for the ideas!

You should get one of the holiday projectors you know they are the right bulb brightness and you can fit the slide right in just like it was one that came with it

The type of light will determine what you can use.  You say it has a domed lens, is it a theater or TV light?  They can get extremely hot. 

What you are probably looking for is cucoloris, also known as a cookie.  It's made of metal and has your design cut into it.  Custom made cookies aren't that expensive.  Most theater lighting supply companies can have them made.

If he has a window, and depending on the restrictions, you might to hang a sheet of plexi inside the shop, add your vinyl logo, then backlight it with a strip light.

I believe its a generic Xmas style spotlight, the ones used to light trees and buildings with...It WILL get pretty damn hot...Maybe we can contain it in a metal box with an opening on the other end for the light to come out (through the design)?

Their window is small and has small framed panes...And the inside of their shop is nice so they also want that open.

The other thing to take into consideration focus.  The professional lights (ellipsoidals) allow you to move the lens back and forth to focus the design.  Otherwise, you will have to physically move the light until you hit just the right distance to focus the image.

The other thing to take into consideration focus.  The professional lights (ellipsoidals) allow you to move the lens back and forth to focus the design.  Otherwise, you will have to physically move the light until you hit just the right distance to focus the image.

Good point! I thought about using a magnifying glass mounted on the end of a box...But I think I'm getting a little too MacGyver for my own good!  ;)