Sign in to follow this  
duke

memory question

hi all, i got a message on my puter that tells me my virtual memory is low.

does this mean i need more ram? or is it some other problem?

regards  duke.

Easiest way to speed up a computer is more RAM. How much do you have now?

when was the last time you rebooted?

Do you open and close lots of programs?

Working with large image files?

Many programs are not nice in releasing their memory usage when the close, so it builds up.

When in doubt------reboot  :thumbsup:

HTH,

Jon

hi jon, i just checked. i only have 512mb total physical memory,available p/m 50.02mb

total virtual memory 2 gig, available v/m 1.96gig.

page file space 886.93 m/b

looks pretty sad eh?

hi jon, i just checked. i only have 512mb total physical memory,available p/m 50.02mb

total virtual memory 2 gig, available v/m 1.96gig.

page file space 886.93 m/b

looks pretty sad eh?

Nothing money won't fix  :thumbsup:

okay, so do i just need more ram? what do you suggest.

puter dummy here :'(

regards duke

okay, so do i just need more ram? what do you suggest.

puter dummy here :'(

regards duke

For an xp machine 2 gig. How is your video ram? Do you have a seperate video card or is it on your motherboard?

it's a gateway system type x86 -based p.c., model e-2000 running xp, i think its on mother board.

like i said dummy here :thumbsup:

soundmax intergrated digital audio.  is that it?

Duke, Go to http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ and click download the scanner it will scan your computer and show you how much memory it can hold and more specifically tell you what kind of memory it uses. When it gives the suggestion copy and paste in here what it says we can point you somewhere cheaper than buying through Crucial like buy.com, newegg, tigerdirect or so on. I would say if the machine can hold it go to 2gb as well. If you have been use to 512 going to 2gb is a great step in the right direction.

Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your Gateway E-2000 Series Desktop/PC.

Most popular upgrades for your systemSee all compatible parts

256MB 184-pin DIMM256MB

Module Size: 256MB

Package: 184-pin DIMM

Feature: DDR PC2700

(0 Ratings)

US $9.99

512MB 184-pin DIMM512MB

Module Size: 512MB

(0 Ratings)

US $17.99

1GB 184-pin DIMM1GB

Module Size: 1GB

(7 Ratings)

US $30.99

hi pungohboy, this is what they recomend. i can go to 2 gigs

regards  duke

I would pick up 2 1gb sticks then http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-1gb-pc-2700-333mhz-ddr-desktop-memory-module-kingston/q/loc/101/10412003.html those have a mail in rebate putting you @ $30 for 2gb. I have a stick of that kind of ram for a laptop and have had no problems with it at all. Other than that where it is DDR not DDR2 it is kind of difficult to find cheaper than $30.

Are you comfortable doing the memory swap? It is fairly easy if you have not done it before just turn off and unplug the computer power open the computer locate the memory, push each of the tabs on the ends lift memory out (pull straight up do it end to end) and then put new memory in it only goes in one way there is a little cutout on the bottom just match that up with the memory socket. Push down evenly across the whole chip then once down snap it in place pressing one each side to make sure the tabs lock in. You may need to hit a key at the boot screen if it yells saying the system memory amount has changed. Just be sure to ground yourself before touching around inside the box. I usually do it in short sleeves and make sure my arms touch the case at all times inside the box. I have never had a static problem that way. Been doing computer support for 7 years and never put on an ESD strap.

If you know how to replace it already maybe that will help someone else.

thanks again pungohboy, is that the right stick for my puter for sure?

regards duke.

hey pungohboy, that sure was the right stick :).

i ordered one to make sure, i will order another one after the thanksgiving break.

thanks all for your help.

happy thanksgiving to all :)

regards  duke

yes i did, puter is a bit quicker. when i get the next stick i will have to drive puter with the hand brake on ;)

regards and thanks again  duke

I think I may have to try this!! I definitely need more ram.

Thanks for this info guys.

Jenny

Duke, Go to http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ and click download the scanner it will scan your computer and show you how much memory it can hold and more specifically tell you what kind of memory it uses. When it gives the suggestion copy and paste in here what it says we can point you somewhere cheaper than buying through Crucial like buy.com, newegg, tigerdirect or so on. I would say if the machine can hold it go to 2gb as well. If you have been use to 512 going to 2gb is a great step in the right direction.

thanks for the tip pungo. just installed 2 gigs of ram in my machine. weeeeeeeeeeee!

bb