dawjr

DXF or DWG to final product

Hey, Guys. New to this plotter business. Just got the Refine MH721 and the SignCut PE and the Inkscape. My goal is to be able to take a CAD drawing, either from AutoCad or TurboCad and make the transition to a finished vinyl cutout. I've made the transition by taking the CAD drawing and converting it to an SVG drawing using ACME converter. Importing that file into Inkscape and saving as an EPS file. Then opening that using Signcut. Okay, that works. Problem is that curves are converted to short line segments in the transition from from DXF to SVG and I can't seem to make a clean polyline back out of it in Inkscape or any other. You know what the plotter tries to do then, pickup and cut each segment as an individual entity, no good. If anyone was to come up with a solution other than, "You can't get there from here," you would be doing me a great service! Any thoughts? I can't be the first one on the planet doing this. I need to use CAD because I need the accuracy in the parts produced. I can't seem to get that easily using graphics programs and I don't want to have to learn after 20 years in CAD.

All the best, Don

was this ever figured out?  i'm at this point now.  i've been trying to go from a solidworks *dxf to an illustrator *eps, and i get the segmented pieces, too.

Can you post one of your .dxf files. I would like to try to open one in SignBlazer and see if that works.

Wow, you guys are picking this up after a whole year. Anyway, I've still got the plotter and would like to know if this problem can be solved. I simply need to be able to take a .dwg, or a .dxf, or a .tcw and get the Refine plotter to cut it exactly as drawn. Anybody that can figure it out for me gets a coupon for a free lunch from a place like Arbys, Wendys, if I have one here I'll send you a gift card. (I have to be able to reproduce your results)

All the best, Don