Sign in to follow this  
dragonfyre1976

HUGE job(for me at least)

:P I just got done meeting with the owner of a new restaurant that is going in across the street from the shop and her graphic designer. I need help figuring out whether I can manage doing this job or not and what to quote her. Our shop labor for car audio installs is $55/hr so I figure I will use that as a starting point for that. This is what we hammered out...

Using frosted vinyl she has 11 windows that will be frosted from the bottom edge up to 25 1/4" with thier logo in the upper left hand corner of each panel. One door with the logo (approx 5" x 12") and hours of operation (M-F 11am - 2pm    F 5pm - 10pm) 2 inches high maybe. on another door frosted up from ground to match window height which is about 18" taller so 43 1/4" with use east door and an arrow on it. The third door will have deliveries on it 4" tall. None of that is a huge problem except I only have a 24" Pcut but its 29" from wall to wall inside so I can squeeze a 30" roll in it if I use a chop saw to get rid of an inch or so which works for the windows but not the doors!

Here is the hard part if it can even be done! The windows are 7 feet tall and start 18" up, she wants the 3 windows that are in the kitchen frosted from 25 1/4" up all the way to the top!!!! The largest vinyl I can find is 48" which obviously won't fill the window.

Not only that but I have never done a piece even remotely that big (maybe a 1/4 that size) having doubts on whether I could even apply it right... :-

Thanks for any help that is given and if I have to tell her I am unable to do it then so be it but I want to try my darndest to be able to!

Oh yeah, this all needs to be done by Sept. 19th for her soft opening...thanks a lot Father Time.. :P

Guest rvgraphixs

Im confused the windows are 7 feet tall and over 48" wide?

What is the actual ID, inside diameter, of the windows? Does she want the lettering cut into the frosted part? Will the lettering work on top of the frosted part? If the windows are less than 48", just run the vinyl up, and down, and trim to fit. And for that much frosted vinyl, make sure you get a hefty deposit. 

You can do it. Talk the customer into a nice border. A gold would look good with the frost. Makes your work easier and increase your profit. For that tall of a job you might want to do a vertical hinge.

11 of the windows are 55" wide and 84" tall, the other six windows are 68" wide and the same height. Bottom part of 14 windows will be frosted with logo cut out in upper left corner, other 3 (68" wide) will be frosted above 25 1/4" (58 3/4") which is the main problem. I think I have an idea for doing it, what do you think?

I buy 48" Oracal 8510, since the 68" wide windows are too tall anyway by nature of the vinyl that is made isn't large enough I talk her into doing a non-frosted border at the top of those windows that is 10 3/4", just use the 48" vinyl uncut the whole width and edge it myself which leaves 25 1/4" of clear below that, then when I am done with those three windows I cut the roll down to 43 1/4" to do the doors then I cut it down again to do the rest of the windows at 25 1/4" which will fit in the plotter with some ingenuity and viola done... ;)

P.S. The border was already shot down I thought of that today when we were going over things, good idea though...

What is the actual ID, inside diameter, of the windows? Does she want the lettering cut into the frosted part? Will the lettering work on top of the frosted part? If the windows are less than 48", just run the vinyl up, and down, and trim to fit. And for that much frosted vinyl, make sure you get a hefty deposit. 

The windows are square thus have no diameter. The letters will be cut out of the frosted panel. I planned on having the entire roll of vinyl paid for before I order it!

i hope you can do the job. wish we could get a job that big. any idea what you are going to charge?

Since they shot down the boarder how about telling them then only other option (since vinyl does is not availablr in that size wtihout a seam) is to use a sandblasting mask and sandblast the glass to etch it. Once you give them the option of you cleaning up the sand or they do then a boarder may start to look good. Or go ahead out of your way and take pics of the windows and go ahead and add a very nice looking boarder just to show then that it would look very good.

My last concern is getting it applied properly and without any bubbles or fingers or anything... I have never done that large of a piece or even close to it for that matter. I would like to think its the same thing only bigger but my anxiety is getting the best of me on that! :P

Well, I got it! I quoted her two days of labor with vinyl it came to $1550 plus tax. I need to order the vinyl today and go over and get some cleaning done before I get it tommorrow. Any tips on hanging a piece 48" x 55" by hand???

use a bucket of soapy water not a bottle, go get a window squeegee from harbor freight or home depot it will help better than a small gold vinyl squeegee, its what I use on big signs.  ive applied frosted vinyl to windows before, last was around a conference room for privacy, I taped to the top no transfer tape, and held it up and rolled the backing down and off with plenty of soapy water on the glass.  for you tape just the area with the logo.  its to hard and laborious to get tape off all that vinyl if its not needed.